starcrazy

Sugden Symetra monoblocks

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

anyone familiar with these monoblocks? They are somewhat 15 years old and a seller wants 1K for them.

I know they are class A and with the new Sugden range the brand is in the lift again, yet I don't know much about these.

Also would they need a revision to exchange components after this time?

Hi,

Speak to Patrick at Sugden tomorrow. He will give you honest answers to your questions.

Hi-fi World entry:-

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Sugden Symetra

[/TD]

[TD]£1550[/TD]

[TD]Oct 96[/TD]

[TD]The Symetra monoblocs impress with their grip. They run hot and sound warm.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Price seems a bit steep. A year ago no takers when advertised on Pink Fish for £800. £1,000 tops when fully serviced/checked over by Patrick.

Nice amps though. Will be great with Proacs.

I spoke to someone at Sugden about them. Each one is effectively a bridged A21a. About 50w each, pure class a. They'll be nice, but a grand is a lot, really.

Given the age I would almost certainly budget for the replacement of the mains smoothing capacitors and probably quite a few of the other electrolytics as well . Given the heat that genuine class A amps run under it does tend to shorten the life of electrolytics . Tantalum and other types are less prone to aging even with the heat but cost and space considerations can amke direct replacements difficult. Once fitted the amp will need checking and calibrating to ensure that it is running at the full Sugden spec. As always were possible Sugden would be the best to do any servicing .