• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Corruption

DACs for strictly non-PC music making

8 posts in this topic

I recently sold my Lyngdorf CD1 and replaced it with a Sony X3000ES, which to my ears manages 90% of the performance of the CD1 for significantly less money. I would like however to try and claw back that extra 10% and maximise the potential of the Sony as a transport by adding a separate DAC.

Budget is around £400 and there seem to be several contenders, however many of the reviews I read are for DACs being used purely with PC audio setups. I would like to know whether any of these sound good when used with a CD transport spinning those good old vintage silver discs.

I am looking at:

Rega DAC

SimAudio Moon 100D

Musical Fidelity M1 DAC

Firestone Audio Spitfire Mk2

Arcam rDAC

TEAC UD-H01

Are there any others worth considering for similar money? I like the look of the Audiolab MDAC but it's a bit out of my price range, should I wait until the Westlake "budget" DAC that I've been reading about on here becomes available?

Thanks all for the benefits of your experience :)

Neil

Try the Abrahamsen V6. Currently on offer and should be within budget. I've been very impressed with mine, it's essentially a clone of the Electrocompaniet ECD-1.

Not heard one, but the M2Tech EVO DAC got a good write up in this months HFNRR. This manufacturer has a good reputation for fine sounding DACs. I noticed that Purite (dealer on here) had these on offer, brand new, for significantly under your budget.

Try the Abrahamsen V6. Currently on offer and should be within budget. I've been very impressed with mine, it's essentially a clone of the Electrocompaniet ECD-1.

I bought his previous DAC the Abrahamsen A-Dac which is a little belter. If thats anything to go by the V6 will be the one to look out. Good shout

Just bought a Twisted pair audio Buffalo 24 dac, which has been built with just one single BNC SPDIF input, i have been using it with a converter for computer duty, but also tried it with my trichord digital turntable transport which is BNC out, so allowed use via its accompanying trichord digital interconnect, and it sounded utterly fabulous, it would be a used buy, but mine came from the states for $420 ( £273 ) delivered, if you could find one it would be a top reccomend.

Cheers Chris

Because I use not one but two in seperate sustems I would certainly say that the Perpetual Technology P-3A sounds excellent . There is one for sale on e-bay at the moment and if you could get one for around £300 - £350 then I think it would be worth considering . Of the above the MF unit is very good .