JamPal

High end projectors and Cinema kit.

28 posts in this topic

James, I would tell him to get to a dealer to have a look at some projectors/amp/speaker combos. I would recommend Frank Harveys, not as I used to work there, but I know the main guys are massive film buffs and they do have a decent range of projectors and higher end surround processors / amps. And plenty of speakers as well!

Thats if they are near Coventry though.

They are East Sussex mate. I spoke to him last night and The local Seven oaks are coming in to see him today. I think he has an idea now.

Stroky, point taken on pioneer amps. Having already steered him away from Monitor Audio speakers, it would be a shame to add shrillness back into the system.

JVC projector all the way. Had two Panas - both suffered from dust blobs in the optics, the technology is susceptible to this, and couldn't do blacks that well (LCD). The JVCs are DILA and do great blacks and have sealed optics.

I have a new 42" Pana Plasma for everyday use but the JVC projector blows it away for film use. The projected image is easier on the eye and immerses you.

I would ascertain the persons priority. Image quality or sound quality. Generally I think you will find people will notice quality changes to image over sound. 7 to 8K on a projector\screen. 2 to 3K will get you an great to amazing sound setup.

There are great speaker packages but don't opt for one with a sub. Monitor Audio are my favourites but check out Kef, Tannoy etc. Get a seperate sub ie not inclusive with the speaker package. Velodyne, BK, SVS, Paradigm. Multiple subs would be better if room allows.

Looking at the dimensions I would go for a 5.1 system. 7.1 requires more depth for the rear field.

Velodyne DD subs will eat up loads of his budget. I would got for SVS sealed subs. If its just for films then a Genelec 8000 series set of speakers (probably 8040A or 8050A) all round will take some beating. They are active so no need for separate power amps. New Audiolab 8200AP or another processor that can take analogue inputs from a blu ray player. I've yet to here HD audio over HDMI that gets close to a high quality blu ray player doing the digital to analogue conversion.

I'm late to the party but I too would recommend the JVC Dila projector. It is VERY impressive and with proper lighting control blows away EVERY LCD or Plasma TV I have seen to date.

Speaker wise, I am going to recommend something completely left field - the MK Sound 150 Series system. This is the same M&K 150THX system brought back to life and it is simply astounding for film listening (watching). These speakers are still used by the likes of Lucasfilm and other famous sound studios to mix soundtracks for the likes of The Lord of The Rings trilogy, Iron Man, King Kong, Star Wars Saga, The Incredibles, Pirates of the Caribbean etc. Very impressive stuff. Their 750 Series is also impressive for a lesser amount of money. The subs especially are fast and hit hard without an ounce of bloat or loss of control.

Amp wise, if this is to be used soley for home cinema, then I would suggest Anthem as their ARC room correction is top notch and very flexible. Processing is first rate as well.

Has he got this sorted yet James?

£10 - 12k is a healthy budget but not a massive amount for a 'proper blown' home cinema system

What sort of expectations does he have?

If he's happy with a decent sub sat system then maybe look at something like the MK S150's which I think are £1500 a speaker and the MX 350 subwoofer.

If he'd in to music as well then maybe a more conventional speaker package like PMC or B&W would be worth looking in to.

However each of these will be £5000 and up realistically then the minimum amp I;d look at is something like the Onkyo 5009, Anthem MRX700 or Arcam AVR 600 if he wants to stay integrated. To start branching in to the pre-power side of things he'd maybe need another £5000 +

Then I'm gathering he wants a decent 3D projector. The likes of JVC - Panasonic - Sony etc should be his first port of call again £3000 +

Then a decent screen, if its a dedicated room does he want a fixed screen - Maybe £1000 - £3000 for a very good one depending on size.

Blu Ray player I'd keep it simple with an oppo 93 (£500) or oppo 95 (£900)

Then whatever he fancies on cabling, I'm sure you agree a very subective topic.

Also think about the room acoustics/sound abortion - this can make a huge difference to the look and feel of the room.