Vinyl Art

Mountain bike choice

12 posts in this topic

Am buying a bike for my lad and these two are nearby

[URL]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trek-6500-hard-tail-1998-version-17-5-inch-44-5cm-Mens-/260999111249?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3cc4c26251[/URL]

[URL]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Speacilized-Rock-Hopper-Pro-Mountain-bike-/320884117165?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item4ab62f0ead[/URL]

They both have what he wants...hard tail, forks, disc brakes....any opinions out therer or are they as good as eachother?

Cheers

BobC

Both look decent. :^

Alternatively, look at Cube, Scott and Cannondale.

(I just bought a Cube for myself btw and am very pleased with it)

[quote name='Jezzer']Both look decent. :^

Alternatively, look at Cube, Scott and Cannondale.

([B]I just bought a Cube for myself btw and am very pleased with it[/B])[/QUOTE]

Nice one Jerry.

Both equally nice bikes. Personally I prefer Specialized - but both brands have good MTB history.

Sizewise, 17" to 17.5" is 'medium' for mountain bikes, so would be spot on for your son. Same height as me, and all my frames are 17-17.5. Perfect fit.

[quote name='hixy']I would go for the trek. Specialized do road bikes dont they,the trek looks the dogs not mad keen on the other[/QUOTE]

Utterly the wrong way round. Specialized started off as a MTB manufacturer. The Spex Stumpjumper being one of the early MTB's to set the trend in the mid to late 80's. Both bikes would be fine. Specialized put more into their frames, so their bikes seem expensive compared to others with the same equipment level. I favour them and have owned a few.

Better frame, shox and brakes on the Spec, the ancillaries aren't as good but he'll likely want to do pedals, saddle etc to his taste. I've owned bikes from both brands there's little to choose between mass produced frames.

just some feedback. I bought the Trek and went to pick it up tonight. the owner was mid thirties, rode it once and came off and never ridden it since...the thing is mint, showroom condition! I know about as much on bikes as geof Boycott does about diplomacy but its got Shimano Deore LX stuff, Judy forks, split gelled saddle, clip ons, disc brakes and maverick wheels (black with not a lot of spokes).....goes to my lad on friday foer his Birthday, i reckon he will be chuffed.

thanks for the advice peeps.

bob