Guest CarlBkk

My B&O Avant TV screen just turned orange. Is it dead or salvagable?

10 posts in this topic

The sound is still fine but after turning the TV on today the screen (on every channel) is orange with horizontal lines and I can just make out the outline of images behind it. It's hooked up to a BT Vision box and no connections were messed with and all are intact. Does anyone have any idea on the problem, part needed or likely repairbill? I can then work out if I'd have to scrap it (hope not).

Yes it's CRT...guessing about 10 years old, bought 2nd hand. It's not looking good is it.

Nope, no messing around or retune..

This one doesn't have a DVD built in nor one attached to it, so the scarts only connect it to the BT Vision (freeview) box and all channels are watched through that.

It should be possible to get it fixed. If you can still see something on the screen it sounds more like a component on a board, rather than the tube has died. Worth getting it checked anyway as you obviously like the tv.

I made a few enquiries about getting it fixed but while waiting for replies another exactly the same came up on ebay...with the B&O DVD player and I happened to win it for £82. I figured this might be about the same price as getting mine repaired.

Before you bin it, try wiggling the SCART lead (they can fail, leading to all sorts of problems.) Try a different SCART lead, and a different source (DVD player or whatever.) If everything stays orange no matter what, it's the TV. :(