unclepuncle

The Grand National

67 posts in this topic

Ok , Ok , but sympathy for the stable lads/ lasses who are on shit money and whose whole lives revolve around "their" horses.

Sympathy for them, very much so but not the filthy rich owners who don't really care about the horse, just the investment and profit!

Jonjo O'Neil can go fuck himself. Synchronized shouldn't have been in the race in the first place and certainly shouldn't have run after demonstrating he didn't want to be there so clearly. Jonjo put him in for the cash. That was never a national hunt horse.

Synchronised had won a Welsh National, a Midlands National, a Lexus Chase (the 2nd most prestigous chase race run in Ireland) and a Cheltenham Gold Cup?

He'd never fallen in a steeple chase race in his life and was ridden by the winning most jump jockey of all time so if he wasn't qualified to be in the race I don't know what was.

He fell at Bechers on the first circuit, and it was a soft slithering type of fall, he got up and then with no jockey on him he carried on running and jumping until sustaining his fatal injury at the 11th fence.

I've part owned race horses and worked for a flat race stable and can assure you that horses die every day on the gallops, or in flat and hurdle races, Barely a race meeting will go by (flat or jumps) without at least one equine fatality.

It gets on the front pages in the Grand National because it's watched by millions of once a year punters - it dosen't matter what they do to the fences and the track, fatalities will happen. You either ban horse racing altogether or accept it as inevitable.

The racing industry with all it's associated activities (betting, breeding, hospitality etc) is one of the biggest employers in the country so banning it would have serious consequences.

The racing industry with all it's associated activities (betting, breeding, hospitality etc) is one of the biggest employers in the country so banning it would have serious consequences.

I'm sure if paedophilia was legalised a whole industry would spring up employing lots of sicko's - would that justify it?

All I know of paedophilia is that it involves the exploitation of others, that cannot refuse or oppose it, for their own personal 'enjoyment' or gain. A bit like racing! Not suggesting in any other way they are similar.

Synchronised had won a Welsh National, a Midlands National, a Lexus Chase (the 2nd most prestigous chase race run in Ireland) and a Cheltenham Gold Cup?

He'd never fallen in a steeple chase race in his life and was ridden by the winning most jump jockey of all time so if he wasn't qualified to be in the race I don't know what was.

He fell at Bechers on the first circuit, and it was a soft slithering type of fall, he got up and then with no jockey on him he carried on running and jumping until sustaining his fatal injury at the 11th fence.

I've part owned race horses and worked for a flat race stable and can assure you that horses die every day on the gallops, or in flat and hurdle races, Barely a race meeting will go by (flat or jumps) without at least one equine fatality.

It gets on the front pages in the Grand National because it's watched by millions of once a year punters - it dosen't matter what they do to the fences and the track, fatalities will happen. You either ban horse racing altogether or accept it as inevitable.

420 die per year, about 160 actually at the racecourse

http://www.horsedeathwatch.com/

That statistic is quite shocking.

Staff

Sorry,but the welfare of horses is more important than the salaries of those employed,no matter what they get paid.This is sick.Lets all make a few quid,or go to the racecourse dressed up to the nines to watch two more horses suffer an agonising fate.You cannot justify this on any grounds.

Stuart do you mean call it a day for all equine events ?

Staff

No.But the events such as this that have a high mortality rate should be looked at.I know bugger all about horse racing.Indeed this was the first race i have watched in it's entirety,due to my in-laws having a flutter on it.

But it seems,from what i have seen and read subsequently,that this was always extremely likely to happen,regardless of the safety measures implemented folllowing last year's event.Whilst you cannot rule out risk in any equine event,this race does seem to have a higher chance of ending badly from what i have seen.The racing world does not seem to be overly concerned with yesterday's events,engrossing itself in a debate over the winner,instead of agreeing that things need to change significantly.I was stunned that none of the rider's themselves were not more seriously hurt.

Stuart do you mean call it a day for all equine events ?

Staff

I get your point.But these horses suffer far more pain after their fall.

I'm presuming that you haven't had roast beef for your Sunday roast? ... young fit cow involved