unclepuncle

The Grand National

67 posts in this topic

The race that stops the nation is on Saturday and is as wide open as usual.

With some rain around it will make it a proper test of stamina for the first time in a few years.

The favourite is likely to be Synchronized who won the Cheltenham Gold Cup last month under Tony McCoy. He's previously won a Welsh Grand National on heavy going so he will definitely stay the 4 1/2m trip - and on the ratings he is a certainty. However he will have to carry top weight and he has never been the most exhuberant jumper so I can see him falling or at least blundering his way out of contention.

The Irish have a large team of fancied horses and at the current odds I've backed a horse called BecauseIcouldntsee - he fell at the 2nd fence last year when he was well fancied, and he has been laid out for the race again. He was 2nd at thre Cheltenham Festival last month and loves soft going so if his jumping holds up he looks a good bet at 40/1 on Betfair (25/1 with the bookies).

My other bet, who I backed @ 20/1 a couple of weeks ago, is Cappa Bleu. He is a lightly raced horse who has always promised to be a top horse and has been in good form this year with the National as his big target. His trainer has a good record at getting his horses ready for the demands of the Grand National. He is only 14/1 with the bookies now but you should get closer to 20/1 on Betfair.

:shock: The Gold Cup winner is running, when did this last happen?

The last time I can recall is in the late 80s/early 90s and that was Jenny Pitman's Garrison Savannah - he won the Cup and got very close in the National - great horse with blinkers.

The last time I can recall is in the late 80s/early 90s and that was Jenny Pitman's Garrison Savannah - he won the Cup and got very close in the National - great horse with blinkers.

Yeah remember that, I think her son rode it.

In the 70's when I was really into Dogs and Horses, I studied The National and bet fairly big without success,

When my gambling phase passed (got married) I applied the winning formula* and have had about 9 winners in the last 25 years.

* Can't quite remember exactly but the winner usually comes from the group carrying 10-5 to 11-00 and 9-11 years old.

With the demise of the tough fences it tends to be a bit more open these days.

It's probably been my most successful race for antepost betting. I've had 6 of the last 14 winners (33/1, 40/1 twice, 25/1, 16/1 10/1), though haven't had the winner since 2006 (was just touched off with last years selection).

Hopefully the ground will help make it easier to narrow the field down this year as many horses in the field just won't last out the 4 1/2m on softer going.

After my success last year in getting first and third each way I thought I'd donate some money back to the bookies.

I have a small amount of money on the following; Ballabriggs, State of Play, Mon Mome and Black Apalachi.

Right moving on from the footie .

£5 @16/1 On His Own and I hope his is.

Placed eight bets for the family at £1 e/w and wonder how much I will be getting back from the bookie. Mine is Hello Bud at 66/1.

£5 EW on According to Pete

£5 EW on Giles Cross

Based on no knowledge at all.