Tel

So how many is a billion?

29 posts in this topic

Pffft, I counted them . . . nowhere near a billion:cafe:

Cool picture.

As I understand it the original billion was a million millions, but we have gone the American way and now recognize a billion as a thousnd millions.

As I understand it the original billion was a million millions, but we have gone the American way and now recognize a billion as a thousnd millions.

Correct. It's called the "short scale".

So is UK PLC indebted to the tune of 1.7 million million pounds or 1.7 thousand million pounds ?

My great great great great grandchildren need to know so they know how much shit we left them :(

Great photos but if it is only us it seems like a waste of space .

Space is mind boggling. To think our own galaxy is unfathomably massive and on these pictures it just appears as a speck. I am often in total awe learning about it.

Space is mind boggling. To think our own galaxy is unfathomably massive and on these pictures it just appears as a speck. I am often in total awe learning about it.

I used to be like that but now I take photos of mushrooms and butterflies.

I used to have to teach this stuff to 15 yr olds, they just couldn't comprehend the scale of it and took it all for granted. Occasionally, one of the students would latch on to it and it made it all worth while. The Eureka moment!