SergeAuckland

Rooms Review

54 posts in this topic

Paul suggested a new thread to review the rooms. I thought that a good idea, so here are mine from the last three years.

Gun Room. (Ground Floor) Nice sounding room, no excessive bass boom, High ceilings, solid floors but suffers from noise breakthrough from above and next door (Butler's Pantry?) Also, people expect to use the doors from the room next door as a thoroughfare, so it may be best to block that off.

Fernie Room (2nd Floor) A lovely sounding room, rather on the dead side, but closer to what I have at home. Unfortunately it's on the second floor, so large 'speakers are a challenge. Nevertheless, one of the better rooms. Little sound breakthrough from other rooms. The floor although suspended, isn't bouncy.

Cottesmore Room (Ground Floor). Slightly lively, with a modest 80Hz honk, but with curtains all the way round, livelinesss can be tamed. Large room, so needs some welly. Solid floor. Benefits from very little breakthrough from other rooms, although a little from above. This year, the door was open most of the time as I got tired of closing it, but sound spillage out into the corridor was modest.

S.

Room above speedy steves in the newer build section.

Not bad sound wise but extremly bouncy floor.

Room 84 sound was good and good shape,not sure of floor as it was cd only but seemed ok.

Room 78 Sound was ok but room shape not good.

Room 46 room ok but floor really really bouncy.

Simpson Room (First Floor) Very large, sound very variable depending where you sit (bass light to very boomy). Off the beaten track so traffic is variable and getting to it is a bit awkward (two narrow doors, a couple of awkward steps). Only two neighbours (assuming no PA in the foyer below) so no issue with sound bleed in (can't comment on our impact on the neighbouring rooms).

Mid size room that looks like a living room. It was bang on for my Kans, solid wall and ideal acoustics. If I make the cut and get it next year the 135s are coming to power the Kans.

Will ad pic when I'm not in anti flash land.

Syndicate 1 - Bigger than it looks, next to the big main rooms so gets some noise through. Big window and no Bathroom.

Syndicate 14 - Same size as above except quieter, smaller window, No Bathroom. Bouncy floor.

Room 42 - A little smaller than above, solid floor, normal room, Bathroom.

Room 80 - A lot smaller than above, suspended floor, very hot due to being next to boiler, Bathroom. Floor not too bouncy.

Would love to get a big room if i get in again.

Would be nice to give my speakers a bit of space.

What will you have by then?!? :dunno:

Room 46 Room OK The cheviots sounded remarkably good IMO. Provided the volume was not too loud.

Only had CD for source, so the suspended floor was not an issue.

Rutland room - absolutely awful, boom hiss tizz bounce, too dark, sun gets in your eyes, too loud, often a bit lifeless and quiet, lead content in the paint, carpets infested with roaches and other assorted bugs, hard to find and no windows or doors, no wifi signal or 3g

steer well clear folks - just say no

just cos we are nice guys perhaps Bob and I will take it again next year just to save others the pain of exhibiting in there

Rutland room - absolutely awful, boom hiss tizz bounce, too dark, sun gets in your eyes, too loud, often a bit lifeless and quiet, lead content in the paint, carpets infested with roaches and other assorted bugs, hard to find and no windows or doors, no wifi signal or 3g

just cos we are nice guys perhaps Bob and I will take it again next year just to save others the pain of exhibiting in there

'cos when you're laid in bed at night watching roaches climb the wall

If you call your Dad he could stop it all.

You'll never live like common people

You'll never do what common people do

You'll never fail like common people

You'll never watch your life slide out of view, and dance and drink and screw

Because there's nothing else to do.

Sing along with the common people, sing along and it might just get you thru'

Agreed re. Rutland room although we got reasonable results (when I was part of AOS) in the second year with the Lockwoods, first year was dire with the Statements.) It has some non-solid walls as I recall, is freezing cold. Its plus point is a concrete floor.

Syndicate 5 is my favourite room but room 88 on the first floor was ok. The floor wasn't bouncy and I got a decent sound in there. I would have that room again.

Syndicate 12:

Pros: solid floor, slightly larger than the neighbouring bedrooms and 'long' so the chairs don't have to obstruct the door, ground floor and close to fire exit so relatively easy access, small store cupboard which can take boxes etc, power points at both ends (window and door), room modes help with the bass if your speakers are a bit bass-light, has been in 'The Quiet Zone' in earlier years so the neighbours have been quiet and there's been no-one upstairs, syndicate room so won't have someone sleeping in it the night before (unless it's you, in a sleeping bag), nice large whiteboard on wall.

Cons: the fire exit is at the end of a gravel path which is difficult to get a car down (there was a hotel van parked to block the entrance this year - I think they didn't like the damage that drivers did to the flowerbeds the year before), rectangular so has distinct bass modes, no loo or running water and the store room can be chock-full (literally) of hotel stuff, just about as far as you can get from the bar and the entrance which can limit footfall - quite a few attendees never make it that far, has been in 'The Quiet Zone' in earlier years so you can't turn the wick up, walls and ceiling are not very thick so you'll hear your neighbours if they turn the wick up.

On balance the pros outweigh the cons for me, especially if 'The Quiet Zone' is restored, but if you're looking to play a big system to big crowds then this is not the room for you.

In 2010 I was in what's now called syndicate 17 on the second floor. I mostly remember the cons: the stairs (OMG, the stairs !!), the remoteness again limited the footfall a bit, no water or loo, limited plug points IIRC (can't be sure about that though). There were some pros: slopey ceiling reduces the room modes a bit (but not as much as I'd hoped), the door's in the corner which minimises its intrusion into the available space, very few neighbours which can reduce the noise issues.

VB

I would fully agree and you beat me to it by a matter of half an hour. Bloody awful bass resonance, more standing waves than the North Shore and doors so small we nearly took the windows out. Along with darren and out of kindness, we will of course take the room next year to see if we can make something of it.

GF Room 73 (2009) - very nice as the smaller rooms go.

Cottesmore Room (2010) - Awesome. Loved it!

Cottesmore Room (2011) - Awesome. Loved it again!

1F Room 7 (2012) - A perfect exercise in the difficulties of using large loudspeakers in broom closets. Didn't sound bad but more than two listeners at a time used most of the oxygen up.

Give you three guesses which room I'm going to be requesting/begging for/offering bribes for next year? ;-)