In the wake of restoring approx 250,000 garbled posts (having remote URL images) since forum migration, rebuilding of forum content followed by search indexing is currently under process. During this process (which may take 1-2 days to complete), the search function may not work properly. We apologize for the inconvenience. Alternatively, you may use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

Biff

Sporting moments which make the hairs of your neck....

40 posts in this topic

Can't do the You Tube linky bit but Botham destroying the Aussies at Headingly and Old Trafford, the best sport I ever seen. Almost brings a tear to my eye watching it now, was absolutely superb watching it unfold live (on the TV alas).

Cheers BB

[quote name='griffo104']The greatest sentence, the late, great Brian Moore uttered :

"Shaw, Williams, prepared to venture down the left. There's a good ball in for Tony Morley. Oh, it must be and it is! It's Peter Withe"[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed watching Villa in that era Simon, must have been great to be a fan.

Cheers BB

[quote name='Professor Chaos']Won't mean much to anyone else here but . . .

Paul Henderson scoring the winning goal in Moscow to cap Canada's comeback against the Soviets in the '72 "Summit Series" . . .

[/QUOTE]

From the same year's Olympics, Borzov's sprint double and especially the final 3 seconds of the USSR v USA basketball final. Mayhem!

[quote name='Brown Bottle']I really enjoyed watching Villa in that era Simon, must have been great to be a fan.

Cheers BB[/QUOTE]

It was fantastic. sadly under the way football now is I doubt I'll ever see it again.

ITV4 has the Big Match Revisited on Saturday morning and they've shown a lot of games from 82 and 83, plenty of Villa being shown and some great memories.

I have a soft spot for Boro as we beat them 3-0 in out last home game of 81 (I was there as well) but then we lost 2-0 to Arsenal where we had to win to guarantee the titel but Boro beat Ipswich 2-1 at Ayrsome Park (Jankovic I think got the winner) so we ended up winning the title that year.

[quote name='Brown Bottle']Can't do the You Tube linky bit but Botham destroying the Aussies at Headingly and Old Trafford, the best sport I ever seen. Almost brings a tear to my eye watching it now, was absolutely superb watching it unfold live (on the TV alas).

Cheers BB[/QUOTE]

I'm with you Steve, it's the sheer backs to the wall defiance of that series that sticks in the mind. IMO nothing can compare to test cricket for that kind of drama...

For different reasons

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/telstra/180px-Carlos-Smith.jpg[/IMG]

Even including one of our schoolteachers Lynn Davies unexpectedly winning gold in Tokyo 1964/everything Olympic up to 2010, the 2 Olympic golds Kelly H. won in 8-15 hundred metres in Athens 2004 are elevating.