gsrai

Gsrais Road Bike Blog

452 posts in this topic

Firstly I'll apologise to those who now think this is a boring thread it probably is but I just have to post the following pic as I cannot believe I did the journey to work in this time today :shock:

afe2599c.jpg

23'57" thats nearly a minute of Monday's time and the only difference was the bib - it must have magical properties :D

Trouble is the home journey took over 31 mins cos I was knackered so it evens itself out.

On the bib thing, another great purchase as its much more comfortable than jogging bottoms even though I look a prat :nuts:

I'm not using the SPD's yet but will practice some more at the weekend with them - I wonder if 20 minutes is doable :doh:

Thread NOT boring! Great that you are making progress but take it easy, it's not all about speed :). Your spd's will make a difference once you start to spin right. Don't rush though, as you have to give yourself time to get in and out of them. After a while you will be cruising to work and not even looking at the time (well not all the time anyway ;-)) because you'll be enjoying it so much! I promise you in a while you'll want to cycle everyday because it won't seem like hard work. Your metabolism will work properly as you'll burn what you eat and your body won't store. And I don't know if anybody else has found this but when I'm cycling a lot I actually eat less! I think because I eat a good breakfast burn that, have a decent lunch and burn that off on the way home and then have a lightish tea. I then sleep like a log! This means that I don't lack energy and don't rely on extra carbs/sweet stuff to kick start in the morning or to top up during the day. Perfect! Cycling to work is going to change your life...

Your metabolism will work properly as you'll burn what you eat and your body won't store. And I don't know if anybody else has found this but when I'm cycling a lot I actually eat less! I think because I eat a good breakfast burn that, have a decent lunch and burn that off on the way home and then have a lightish tea. I then sleep like a log! This means that I don't lack energy and don't rely on extra carbs/sweet stuff to kick start in the morning or to top up during the day. Perfect! Cycling to work is going to change your life...

I think you have hit the nail firmly on the head with that statement - rep'd :)

Before I leave home I have some peanut butter on toast and upon arriving at work I eat a boiled egg and I feel quite full and have enough energy as well. I was really pleased to learn from the myfitnesspal app that I burn more calories than I eat for breakfast !

I haven't quite sussed the correct lunch and I still snack but the myfitnesspal app is really helping me focus on eating better - dare I say it it's all coming together slowly.

Dont worry I'm not focussing on speed at all which is why I'm so surprised on the times I've achieved. The focus for me is to increase my average speed and pedal consistently all the way and the reason for this there are 2 hills that I really struggle to get up (hills is probably too dramatic but more like inclines) and I want to be able to cycle up these and not feel like ive run a marathon - I guess this is more to do with stamina and I need to start working out how to improve this!

Thread NOT boring!

I definitely agree.

After a while you will be cruising to work and not even looking at the time (well not all the time anyway ;-)) because you'll be enjoying it so much! I promise you in a while you'll want to cycle everyday because it won't seem like hard work.

Yep, I was saying something along the same lines a few days ago. It might take a while, but you'll get there. Cycling is not only good for your health and wellbeing, it's also great fun.

Keep up the good work mate, and the thread alive, I've read lots of interesting things in it :^

Thanks guys, I can end the week on a positive note, I've managed to lose 3lb's as well which is a nice bonus :)

This is also the first time I've done 2 consecutive days and the sub 25 minutes time was achieved again so its no fluke - I think I'm close to doing it every day ;)

Its kinda weird that I've lost no weight to date with the cycling but the minute I start calorie counting I lose a good amount ?????

The myfitnesspal app seems to be telling me my iron intake is awful which probably explains the tiredness so I guess I need to figure out how to improve that without asking supplements (I feel another tablet would be quite depressing right now).

Ive been mulling it over this evening and I don't think I'm at the stage where I'm enjoying it, I'm more enjoying the outcome and the consequent benefits -do I need to cycle further for longer before I get into the groove. I hadn't really thought about it much until today - how do you get to the 'enjoying' phase (probably a silly question I know).

The other thing that I've found strange is that a wet ground (after rain or even during rain) doesn't necessarily slow you down as I did the home journey in 28'11" so another record time for me but wind is a nightmare - I become the sail of boat and at times it feels like I'm going backwards :(

If the weather holds up this weekend then it's SPD practice time !

Ive been mulling it over this evening and I don't think I'm at the stage where I'm enjoying it, I'm more enjoying the outcome and the consequent benefits -do I need to cycle further for longer before I get into the groove. I hadn't really thought about it much until today - how do you get to the 'enjoying' phase (probably a silly question I know).

It's a natural progression, you don't need to do anything special, just don't punish yourself on the bike, that is definitely not the way forward.

As far as iron intake is concerned, I'm no expert, but you probably need to eat stuff like apples and spinach, they're rich in iron. I don't trust these gizmos, myself, I must be old-fashioned, as I don't use any of them. I just have a look at my watch and that's good enough for me.

The other thing that I've found strange is that a wet ground (after rain or even during rain) doesn't necessarily slow you down as I did the home journey in 28'11" so another record time for me but wind is a nightmare - I become the sail of boat and at times it feels like I'm going backwards :(

Yeah, wet roads are not a problem, but be careful as the tires lose a lot of grip, which could be quite dangerous in traffic. I use to hate the wind too. No matter which direction I was headed, the wind always seemed to blow me in the face. I'm not bothered so much about it these days, but if I had a choice I'd rather have it from behind :D

Firstly I'll apologise to those who now think this is a boring thread it probably is but I just have to post the following pic as I cannot believe I did the journey to work in this time today :shock:

afe2599c.jpg

23'57" thats nearly a minute of Monday's time and the only difference was the bib - it must have magical properties :D

Trouble is the home journey took over 31 mins cos I was knackered so it evens itself out.

On the bib thing, another great purchase as its much more comfortable than jogging bottoms even though I look a prat :nuts:

I'm not using the SPD's yet but will practice some more at the weekend with them - I wonder if 20 minutes is doable :doh:

Nice one mate! You're making great progress atm! Just keep pushing yourself a little each day mate & you'll make the 20 mins. The SPD's will help once you've got used to the fact that both legs can work together. Do practise the clipping & unclipping leaning against a wall or something. They will loosen up a little if you keep clipping in & out, they can be loosened too if you think they're still to tight. Until you're used to the release action just unclip early & rest your foot on the peddle. It will save the bashed elbows, I've had a few too!

The only thing now missing from this thread is a photo of you in the Bib shorts! He-he keep up the good work mate!

The only thing now missing from this thread is a photo of you in the Bib shorts! He-he keep up the good work mate!

LOL, I think you might have to wait a few lifetimes for that - Adonis I ain't :)

Okay - I'll give in, here's a picture of me earlier this morning on my way to the shops - now your turn :D

TeletubbyCyclistcopy.jpg

Okay - I'll give in, here's a picture of me earlier this morning on my way to the shops - now your turn :D

TeletubbyCyclistcopy.jpg

Hey! You trimmed your beard! That's not allowed, even if it streamlines you... :mrgreen:

We beardies need to stick together (and no, not like velcro)

Hey! You trimmed your beard! That's not allowed, even if it streamlines you... :mrgreen:

We beardies need to stick together (and no, not like velcro)

LOL, how you doing Kevin?

Its been a funny old day on a positive note I did the home journey in 26'38" and I put it down to the SPD's as going up hill was a lot easier than normal although my calves seriously ache now :(.

On a negative side I am now officially a member of the "I have SPD's and can fall over easily" club :lol:

The morning ride was painful as wind was in my face all the way so it was slow going - I finally arrived at work and saw the bike shelter, slowed down and forgot I was clipped in so prompt fell over :(

Then on the way home I stopped at a junction and forgot i was clipped in and guess what - I fell over :( :(

The funny thing is that clipping in and out was quite easy but I need to train my mind to unclip - doh!

This SPD stuff sounds like fun :P I used to have clips once upon a time, which were not too bad, these days I use flat pedals. I might start using SPDs just to see how many times I manage to roll in the dirt while everyone waiting for the traffic lights is staring at me, that should be entertaining :D