bottleneck

Tractrix Horn Build.

75 posts in this topic

Hi All

I know there are some keen DIY'ers here on WigWam, so this my (our) current project - a Tractrix horn build.

Calculations, Cad drawings, staining, varnishing etc all done by me - the wood turning is done by a pro-friend at mates-rates.

Initial detail -

wooden tractrix horn.

Drive unit - TAD 4002

Tractrix horn - 300hz horn, I cross it over between 600-800hz, we will have to see what sounds best on the new horn.

tractrixjpeg.jpg

Use the 'Insert Image' :^

Looks fabulous so far! (Not that it won't look great when it's finished, of course.)

Nice to see pics of the stages involved.

I assume that is the template for the curve for your friend to follow on the lathe. Oh and thats a bandsaw btw:) what wood are you using?

the ''inner'' tractrix curve - stuck onto board, and cut carefully!! on a jigsaw.

tractrix3.jpg

Looking good - more horns to the world :^

I really wish I had the skill to do this kind of thing. Had I even an ounce of the aforementioned I don't think i would have abandoned my horn project quite so easily.

S

Yes I wish I had the skill and the tools, it would make my horn obsession a lot less expensive! Looking forward to seeing these evolve...

I assume that is the template for the curve for your friend to follow on the lathe. ) what wood are you using?

Hi

Yes, template for inner curve. I've gone with birch ply, to see the side-grain on the finished horn - like with Cessaro.

Great stuff Chris,

I'm smack in the middle of making some JBL H9800's using the layered birch ply approach(cnc'd throat) too.

hi,

basically am currently using a type of copy of the TAD 2402 speaker

product_704180_o_1.jpg

I use a 1601b 15" (tad), Tad 4002, and a JBL 2405 as a tweeter.

The mid-range horn which this will replace, is a copy of the TAD one shown in the above image.