• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
GJO

Phono stage bakeoff MK 2

36 posts in this topic

Guy,

You're supposed to say it's rubbish and then keep a constant eye out on the classifieds! If that doesn't work, we'll just have to hope for another invite later in the year :)

Thanks to all who came over,it was most enjoyable,the great thing about the Wam,apart from meeting new people is the opertunity to have afternoons listening to various bits of kit in a domestic enviroment.

We listened to the following.

EAR 834.

Linn MC,can't remember model.

WAD MC.

ARC ph5.

Rothwell SUT.

Koetsu SUT.

We also had a balanced mains unit come along and tried all phono stages firstly plugged into the mains and then plugged into the balanced unit,the differences in all cases was quite marked with balanced prefered in all cases.Eventually my whole system was plugged into the balanced unit,there was no loss in dynamics,quite the opposite in fact and the improvements were quite dramatic to say the least.

Mrs O thought we were better behaved than at my last bake off,not so noisy was her comment,so you can all come over again.

Thanks Graham & Hilary for a great afternoon..... It was nice to have a box swapping bakeoff as I've been to a few music only ones lately... The Koetsu SUT really was an eye opener with such a realistic presentation it literally crackled with energy, great clarity and a really sweet top end. The EAR & WAD sounded great as well but were outclassed buy the ARC/Koetsu SUT but they should be at the price differential. And my Linn was as everyone agreed the best Linn they'd heard all day :) its was great to meet new faces and hear different views on our fun hobby. I almost forgot about the little Rothwell but cannot remember how it sounded sorry for that and the Mains device was a great addition to all components that were linked up to it it added control, body, clarity and detail to the music without strangling the life out of the system, food for thought for me anyway.

Dean..

The Rothwell was weird.

When we first tried it there was a lack of bass and a generally thin sound.

We then plugged Graham's kit into the balanced mains transformer and the Rothwell really opened up! Much fuller sound stage, tuneful bass and good sense of timing.

Great things, balanced mains transformers.

Guy

Ps Graham. Please empty your inbox!!!! Can't PM you.

http://www.airlinktransformers.com/cat10/balanced_power_supply.html I think it was the 3kva version. It really did make a worthwhile difference to each component plugged in to it.

Graham,

Yes, echo all the thanks for hosting a very enjoyable afternoon listening to your superb system, with various phono bits and pieces injected into the mix. Glad to hear your wife was OK with us all tramping through her living room!

Well impressed with the rest of your system - truly awesome, not to mention your vinyl collection! What a brilliant way to spend a wet, rainy afternoon; only sorry I couldn't stay longer!

Anyway, I'm off to try and locate copies of Flag and Minimum-Maximum - maybe some Goldfrapp too...!

Guy's description above was spot-on, which is very weird as the balanced mains thingy could only have been affecting the active stage that the SUTs were feeding. Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Nigel

Hopefully one will be turning up this week :D, not to sure yet where I can hide it,think Mrs O is going spot it.

Nice one, I'd like to try something like this at some point. I'm quite sure the mains supply to my hifi is not as good as it could be.

So would I!

Graham (GJO) you can't have hidden it very well!