TheMinimalCriminal

Exeter Bakeoff - 5th/6th May

60 posts in this topic

Hi, I've just discovered this, I am new to Wigwam. I PMd Russ Abbott and he mentioned this bake off. I live in Plymouth, so if you get a space I would love to come along, even if only to see what happens. I use an Oracle Delphi 1 with upgrades, various arms, carts. and SUTs, Yaqin MS12-B phono amp, Meridian 200 CD transport with Teradak Chameleon DAC, Promitheus TVC, Ben Duncan design active xover, Ming Da MC84-C, MC845-C monoblocks, Parasound HCA1205-A and speakers using Ted Jordan and SEAS units. Everything is transportable except the monoblocks and speakers.

I realise you are full, but please bear me in mind.

Regards,

Richard.

Ok, herpa-derpa moment; I've just realised that this is the bank holiday weekend.

So what I'm thinking is that I'll run this over both the Saturday and the Sunday and people can visit on whichever days they would prefer. If people can let me know which they'd rather, as everyone turning up on one day would make things rather manic!

Richard, would be great to have you given the increased capacity that spreading it over the weekend will give.

Thanks Jon, I'll check with the boss and see when I'm allowed out to play. As I'm new to this format, what should I bring with me? Ok, just checked, and we are at a wedding in Bristol on the 5th, so it would have to be the 6th. That will mean dashing home from Bristol in the morning, picking up whatever I need, and driving back to Exeter! What sort of time are we talking about on Sunday? It's all do-able, I just need a timetable.:wall:

Nothing too early on Sunday; let's say 11:00am at the earliest, but if you want to rock up at 13:00 then that's all fine too.

As to deciding what to bring, that's all part of the fun! My current kit list is below. The only thing I will say is that there may not be anywhere suitable to put a turntable, as there is a certain amount of compromise in where my kit has ended up etc. and they really don't suit going on the floor at all as far as I know. Nothing against the black stuff at all, just a matter of logistics. The pre is probably the weak link in the chain, so if you want to bring the Promitheus then that would be good to me, but if you want to add other things that's all grand too. Naturally the monoblocks are of interest but can more than appreciate getting them here is a bit much!

Kit List:

PC into Musical Fidelity X-24K DAC

NAD C320 BEE on pre-amp duties

Vincent SP-T100 monoblocks

Triangle Celius speakers

Pm on its way :)

Thanks Jon, I'll check with the boss and see when I'm allowed out to play. As I'm new to this format, what should I bring with me? Ok, just checked, and we are at a wedding in Bristol on the 5th, so it would have to be the 6th. That will mean dashing home from Bristol in the morning, picking up whatever I need, and driving back to Exeter! What sort of time are we talking about on Sunday? It's all do-able, I just need a timetable.:wall:

Complete forgot this, but of course bring some music!

I'll bring the TVC, but would the Ming Da MC84-C valve amp be of interest? 12wpc, volume control, 1 line input, but not monoblocks, so cabling for speakers would be different from your setup. I intend to use it for HF duties in a 3 way active system, but would be curious to hear how it worked with full range speakers. I have various IC (homemade) and speaker cables to suit if needed. As I will be coming direct from an overnight stay in Bristol, I won't have room for the Ming Da monoblocks in the boot, so maybe another time for those? I also have a Parasound HCA-1205A 5 channel power amp (too big, again for this trip) which would be interesting to compare with the Vincents at some point. I only use 2 channels at the mo. but intend to use 4 for the isobarics when they are made, 1 for each driver.

If you could PM me with your address before I come, that would be handy. And asking me to bring music could be dangerous; I have weird tastes!:nuts:

Yes, I've got a Unison Research Unico on its way.

I would be keen to hear some of the Ming Da stuff, especially given some of the recent comments on here. Basically the more the merrier! I'll still have cables knocking around as well as I've not whacked the spares up for sale at all, although everything I've got is phono so balanced may be required.

I've got some different bits and bobs to bring.

Anyone want to share lifts from Plymouth (Stu, Richard?) I don't mind driving, but no 15" tannoys, my cars only smallish!