In the wake of restoring approx 250,000 garbled posts (having remote URL images) since forum migration, rebuilding of forum content followed by search indexing is currently under process. During this process (which may take 1-2 days to complete), the search function may not work properly. We apologize for the inconvenience. Alternatively, you may use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

Honeywell1945

Oxfam : vinyl record prices to make the mind focused !

21 posts in this topic

Whilst looking for a book via Google I stumbled across this Oxfam shop , their book is £25 2nd hand , brand new it is £9.80 !

Anyway , I decided to check out their vinyl & my jaw dropped I have to say unless I'm missing something !

Led Zep £160 :

[URL]http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/second-hand-music-and-movies/906292[/URL]

£50 +

[URL]http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/results.aspx?catalog=HighStDonated&category=MusicandMovies_Vinyl&f=CategoryName%3dMusicandMovies_Vinyl_Rock&f=cy_list_price%3d50-100000[/URL]

When I used to buy records, before my flat disappeared with sheer volume, I shopped in Macclesfield occasionally - they have a vinyl expert at the Oxfam in Macclesfield, have to say he knows his music with write ups on the front of each album so you can guarantee he's cherry picking the best stuff for himself, its well expensive now rendering any bargains impossible unless you like the Humperdink or Peters and Lee!

I don't bother with Oxfam at all these days for records. UI used to buy 20 or 30 for £40 or so and walk away happy with a few good uns. But these days even the shite is priced at £3 or £4. I assume they are making more money pricing this way, they have been at it for over 5 years now. I would rather go to a record dealer and know they have been graded correctly....you can still get good buys at record dealers when they have a clearout.

[quote name='adsa']Its funny when your local record emporium, sells pristine versions of the scratched Oxfam shite, at 2/3rds the price! I would rather give charity to the bloke that sells me my quality vinyl.[/QUOTE]

Im sorry but they get the stuff for nothing,yes i realise they have overheads but the records aint even in good condition.Yes i realise its for good cause and all that but the prices are getting a bit silly now.

[quote name='hixy']Im sorry but they get the stuff for nothing,yes i realise they have overheads but the records aint even in good condition.Yes i realise its for good cause and all that but the prices are getting a bit silly now.[/QUOTE]
Think you and adsa are arguing the same point:geek:

If Oxfam can sell the black stuff at those prices which they must do good luck to them. I buy a lot of books from them at around half price.

[quote name='avinunca1']If Oxfam can sell the black stuff at those prices which they must do good luck to them. I buy a lot of books from them at around half price.[/QUOTE]
But does it sell? I still buy good condition vinyl in other charity shops £1 each, or 7 for £5.

[quote name='johnniebaby']But does it sell? I still buy good condition vinyl in other charity shops £1 each, or 7 for £5.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I will ask the staff at our local shop next time I am there. I have in the past paid more than the asking price in other charity shops because the records were badly underpriced.

I think Oxfam's prices lost touch with reality a long time ago, and in general I have given up buying from them unless I find something that is in good condition / price.

But I did find a good first pressing of Scott 4 in an Oxfam for £2.99 recently so maybe that might make up for all the overpriced crap they usually try to sell.

I have to say I have bought quite a few (classical) records from my local Oxfam, in Oxford, all reasonably priced and in good nick.

I bought some discs from West Bridgford store, mostly £2.99 each and in better condition than a dealer in Nottingham, we all have the choice……..