Mr.Ian

Biggest Surprises of 2012

464 posts in this topic

Lots of good systems, and too many to get round, so no offence if I have missed you off this list of superb systems:

Baggawire, in the Gun Room (deep, nice clean bass, really liked the sound). Probably my favourite of the day.

Meninblack/testure: micro Tannoy Autograph speakers performed about 50 times better than I expected, for their size. Despite their tiny size they had respectable bass.

Myrman: thanks for the DTS discs and the room was good too!

def and cambs12: really good system, even though some of the music was a long way from my normal taste. One or two tracks were though and the Kharma speakers looked and sounded superb.

sq225917 & bootsale: very good with a digital source (maybe not quite so keen on the TT, but everything is relative).

Amdismal & JVS: Louis Armstrong rendered superbly, when I was there.

bmtell: Kraftwerk's Tour de Force and the Bangles handled with equal ease.

Steve Toy: distinctive Tannoy sound through magnificent Turnberrys

Beobloke: given the short straw when the rooms were dished out but had a very respectable sound going on (especially for the conditions!).

Cheap as Chips et al in the Feenie Room: great sound for a system costing less than the price of an Eichmann Bullet! I mean, £96! You're having a laugh, guys. Literally. At the rest of spending fortunes and getting about 5% of the Sound per Pound. (Note to self: do not risk going in their room again next year).

SergeAuckland: I finally got to a point where I understood one of Serge's lengthy technical explanations. It was actually fascinating, and a rather beautiful sound. Ella Fitzgerald playing.

Speedysteve: managed to take a tune off my i-phone and put it through those enormous horns, getting more than respectable sound. Thought the system was wonderful. Would like his wife to meet mine, and see if some of the tolerance rubs off (only kidding, dear, in case you read this: you are very understanding, too).

Many thanks to you all. There is no way I'd pack all my stuff up and lug it half way across the country just for some pillock to walk in, listen to about a minute of music and then walk out again, often with no words exchanged. (To be fair, people don't want to talk over the music and spoil things for others, I suppose) so you all deserve a medal.

Oh and I nearly forgot (montesqueiu's post above reminded me: df_genius, who was playing The Wall from home recorded reel to reel tape!

My first Scalford show visit and I thought it was bloody brilliant. Big thanks to James and all who helped out at reception and all the other behind the scenes work over the weekend.

I was amazed at all the cars parked for hundreds of metres up and down the verges outside the hotel, but that's just a sign of popularity.

Was great to hear the Quad 989s in Steve's room. They made a fine sound with my Sinatra CD, with TheMadLatvian agreeing that the Quads really shined when playing Frank.

Totally loved seeing/hearing the Nagra D and Nagra IV-S TC upstairs. A highlight for me!

Serge was playing real music, and it sounded very good - he must've been using some killer cabling to achieve such a coherent sound. Ahem.

Loved the Harbeth Super HL5s and the Luxman SACD player and amp in Rockmeister's room. My Mel Torme disc sounded excellent, if only I could find the space for a pair...

Was nice to bump into a few familiar names and put faces to those names. Everyone was really friendly and it was a great day all in all. Will be back next year and may exhibit too!

FANTASTIC DAY.

It was a great pleasure to meet in person many of the wammers, even you sodders,

and put faces to some of the names.

Massive thanks to Coco for testing my tubes on his fabulous looking ‘time machine’

Thanks to paulf for an excellent sounding Phono stage:^ I will PM you.

And a huge thanks to all that organised for providing a brilliant days listening for me,

and especially to James for standing around counting the door money and supping beer

while everybody else did all the humping of gear.

I enjoyed all the systems I could get to listen to properly from Steve ‘barking mad’ horns

to hoopsontoast’s mini speakers. Plus a very calculated thumbs up to your system Serg:^.

My favourites. In no order.

Jvc & Adams set up. wrong room but still great.

Bob and Darrens Tannoy fest. Huge tones

Simon/sq225917. compensating or not, it sounded fantastic. great purchase simon

Nicks Oracle based system. Excellent tone quality

John/Rockies Palmer based system. best looking turntable, and it sounds great too.

Steve& Pete& Guys room. WOW !!!!

Stewart and Lawrence in Butlers pantry. lovely sound in there.

Adam K. fantastic sounds from the basik Linn/naim set up.

Ok, I lied. I did have a favourite. Dean/SCIDB

I just loved that room, and went back 3 times just to check. Left feeling the same each time. " why am I leaving this"

Not hugely better than the others. It just felt great. The "vibe" was right. wasnt even his "Best" system, but the small one that he could fit in his car !!!!

I think its a combination of Deans enthusiasm, his passion, his knowledge of both the equipment and the music. Just wonderful sounds coming out of those Snells.

So, a really great day. Thanks to all the organisers for all their hard work.

And thanks also to the photographers for enhancing the day with their contributions. I spent a lovely 20 mins with the book. John , it looks great. well done.

I had a great day, it flew by! I was playing The Wall on Reel to Reel, thanks for the comments guys. I'm glad that all of my DIY kit worked without a hitch all day. Was good to meet fellow wammers/pfm'ers. I had about half an hour to have a stroll around, I didn't make it out of the block!

Well done to the organisers, despite the hotel's best efforts to make things difficult (by changing room numbers at the last minute) it all went well.

Great show, big thanks to all who took the effort to organise it :^

Lots of great sounding rooms, but for me the system I liked the most was amcluesent (Calum's); lovely sound, just the way I like it.

Biggest surprise for me, well that was the single most cuntish thing to have happened in my time on the Wam.

Least surprise? Lots of great-sounding systems, lots of genuinely mad systems, lots of beer, curry and chinwagging. No surprises, just great fun.

Tannoys in abundance, but although I heard some in rooms too small for them, I didn't hear a pair I didn't like. The tiny ones were a stand-out sound again - possibly I was influenced in their favour by Testy generously handing out slices of pork pie whilst I listened.......BobC's sounded very good until he played The Osmonds........

Massive thanks to all concerned for the huge effort getting organised and the gear all there and sounding great.

Great to meet several Wammers I have only met online previously, and of course the usual faces.

Some very good music being played too - I have a wish-list of cds now, which I always think is the test of how a system really performed - coming away needing a copy of the music it was playing.....

Fave room.......Greybeard. Not the grandest system, but just did something right for me, could have listened all day.

Same time next year? Well done James and all involved.

from another first-time visitor. A wondrous collection, something for everyone, and a really warm atmosphere. Hope to put in a system next year.

First visit to the show and would like to visit again. I didn’t realise it would be so busy. There wasn’t really a bad sounding system there. Every system seemed to have its good points [Even in a less than an ideal setup for some] and I can understand what the owners saw in their respective systems.

For myself the sytems of note in no particular order were:

The big Tannoys in the Quorn room, big room big sound.

Myrman, that deck was a work or art and it all sounded great. A system what could be appreciated by the deaf as it looked so good.

AdamK in the Colman room, great to hear a good system in a big room cranked up a bit.

JonR’s system was one of the most musical of the day, lovely full and none fatiguing sound.

Beobloke’s system had no right to sound that good, I mean come on its B&O! I think a few perceptions will have been changed there.

Sq225917, he may have a cracking Dac but that record deck sounded wonderful.

Steven Toy’s room was a rockin with those Tannoys and 3 hundred weight of copper amp. Chain it down Steven the gypo’s will have it weighed in, in a flash.

Alphatoner I think it was with those kinky speakers [Duevel], great sound and looked good too.

Bagga’s room sounded just right when I was in and very easy on the ear.

Alex with his Cheap As Chips, I'm glad the Mrs wasn't here.

On the whole the vinyl had the most pleasing sound but I’m not going back on that route again.

A big plus point of the day was that I didn't hear a single track from The Wall, hats of to you Sirs, or was I just lucky?

my second scalford show and very enjoyable.

very impressed by how well balanced the cheaper systems were. Interesting to note that very few cd players were playing but computers and Dacs providing the majority od digital duties. ultimately I felt vinyl was still king. Loved every minute of the show and well done on the food front. simple but effective.

Well done to everybody.

Biggest surprise for me, well that was the single most cuntish thing to have happened in my time on the Wam.

Least surprise? Lots of great-sounding systems, lots of genuinely mad systems, lots of beer, curry and chinwagging. No surprises, just great fun.

:dunno:

GREAT DAY OUT......thanks to all the organisers,top job......many highlights.....alphatoners omnis gorgeous unforced sound...many tannoys, not all sounding the same,

jon palmer tt, and the man himself..nice meeting you again.....harbie fives still nice , cheap as chips jbl s.....brill.......both sets of kharma ceramices sounded excellent,

thanks to my two sidekicks alanb @ lee henley for there

:TheBird: I guess the fact that noone has mentioned my system yet means that noone was surprised it would sound so good lol:Tumble: