nicedoc441

Any big Radio 3 fans here?

37 posts in this topic

[QUOTE but I detest the morning the daily phone call from a member of the public with a detailed explanation as to why they like a piece of music - in fact I switch off.
Plato[/QUOTE]

Here here !!

At the Radio 3 website they are asking to take part in a survey. I did it while scoffing some very lovely chicken with parmentier potatoes.

There are a few questions that relate to 'HD' sound and some idiot questions about whether the website was "fresh". Anyway an opportunity to encourage HD (or better) broadcasts . Also a few questions about whether it would be useful to have access to recordings from much further back :^

Unfortunately most of it was about web broadcasting and there was nowhere to point out that my wireless has been assaulted by me on several occasions while listeners are asked what that piece of music [I]means[/I] to them :fek:

Rigoletto live from Covent Garden on now. This service is priceless. The stage mics are a bit phasey and John Eliot Gardiner is not an obvious Verdian but Jeez this is costing nothing at the point of use and it's superlative. This is what Murdoch is attempting to take down.

[quote name='DeCameron']Rigoletto live from Covent Garden on now. This service is priceless. The stage mics are a bit phasey and John Eliot Gardiner is not an obvious Verdian but Jeez this is costing nothing at the point of use and it's superlative. This is what Murdoch is attempting to take down.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I too listened to it. Found it a little "flat" but nevertheless good stuff.
One gripe I have is the banter with the principals - I'd rather they just got on with the performance.
Still, glad they put them on.
P

[quote name='Valvebloke']Yup, I'm a big fan. When I get the chance Late Junction is one of my favourites. There's simply nothing else like it that's easily accessibl

Would agree with all these choices and would add the excellent private passions and of course the proms .What i do find strange is that i love choral evensong even though i am a total non beliver

[quote name='DeCameron']Rigoletto live from Covent Garden on now. This service is priceless. The stage mics are a bit phasey and John Eliot Gardiner is not an obvious Verdian but Jeez this is costing nothing at the point of use and it's superlative. This is what Murdoch is attempting to take down.[/QUOTE]

Good post!

I thought this was pretty good. Hearing it on the radio also had the advantage of not having David McVicar's staging thrust (I use the term advisably) into your lap! I've seen some productions of his which I thought were great but this is not one of his better efforts.

I saw a shocker of a staging at the Komische in Berlin a few months ago, fortunately the singing and playing were first rate.

[url]http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=komische+oper+rigoletto&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=PNzVT_m1MMur-gbD89CYBA&biw=1024&bih=672&sei=YdzVT8GEB8Si8QOtnanuAQ[/url]

[quote name='DeCameron']I saw a shocker of a staging at the Komische in Berlin a few months ago, fortunately the singing and playing were first rate.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.theaterfoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/MG_9369.JPG[/IMG]

I'm quite happy with modern productions (Danielle de Niese as Cleopatra in a Bikini is fine by me) but that does look ... interesting!

The only time I've been to the Komische was to see Love of Three Oranges which I thought was an excellent production, a real ensemble at work. It's a lovely theatre too.

I thoroughly enjoyed this revival of the McVicar production. John Elliott Garner may not be an obvious verdian but i think he's a damn good one. But the real prize goes to Lucy Crowe- an incredible stand in.
I hope this is on the Iplayer, because if it is I shall be listening tonight.
[edit I see it is on the iPlayer but with Siurina- for whom Crowe stood in. It will be interesting to compare but i would be surprised if Siurina was as good.]