nicedoc441

Any big Radio 3 fans here?

37 posts in this topic

Alas,Radio 3 has dumbed down over the last few years (what has the world come to).

But i still listen in - and often.

Cd Review

Composer of the Week

Opera Live on a Saturday night

Jazz on Saturday afternoon

Evening concerts.

Choral Evensong.

Radio 3 is how i have learned (and continue to learn) about classical music.

Discussions,documentaries,plays can be interesting too! :-))

Listening now to The World Music show; on Tués, Wed, Thur, Late Junction; I like all The live music concerts. Still lots of good stuff on R3.

It's an amazing channel. There's still enough serious content like CD review which I put on in bed at 9.00 am on a Saturday. I think they've made astute changes to attract a new audience, eg. Late Junction and Night Waves. The nightly live concerts are great and the Saturday live from the Met or EBU operas are priceless.

I listen to it on the way home in the evening because Eddie Mair and Simon Mayo are idiots. I like Late Junction and the Jazz show on Saturday as well.

Strat

A wonderful institution which I listen to a great deal. But - it is dumbing down, with single movements amputated from the whole piece and diluting the music with so called celebrities chatting meaninglessly about their music choices in the mornings; I mean, who the hell wants to know what Sian Lloyd likes to listen to :roll::x, unlike (thankfully) the excellent and intelligent programme presented by Michael Berkeley where he invariably interviews interesting people in the arts with something worthwhile to say.

A wonderful institution which I listen to a great deal. But - it is dumbing down, with single movements amputated from the whole piece and diluting the music with so called celebrities chatting meaninglessly about their music choices in the mornings; I mean, who the hell wants to know what Sian Lloyd likes to listen to :roll::x, unlike (thankfully) the excellent and intelligent programme presented by Michael Berkeley where he invariably interviews interesting people in the arts with something worthwhile to say.

However, Sian will be able to tell us weather something is likely to be good. :minikev:

However, Sian will be able to tell us weather something is likely to be good. :minikev:

John that really is awful....... but brought me out in a big grin :^:D

I adore R3 for the quality of engineering around live concerts. Through a good FM tuner and a good system, the sound is almost always absolutely top-notch, making most modern commercial recordings sound poorly miked, poorly mastered and over-processed. IMHO.

Another fan here. I listen in the car to/from work, Saturdays (jazz & opera) and Sundays if around.

Agree re Schubert, but I detest the morning the daily phone call from a member of the public with a detailed explanation as to why they like a piece of music - in fact I switch off.

Plato

Yup, I'm a big fan. When I get the chance Late Junction is one of my favourites. There's simply nothing else like it that's easily accessible.

... I still listen in - and often.

Cd Review

Composer of the Week

Opera Live on a Saturday night

Jazz on Saturday afternoon

Evening concerts.

Choral Evensong ...)

I went to their website a few years back and discovered, out of the blue, that I am 'The Face of Choral Evensong'. That choirboy in the foreground http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tp7r is me, nearly 40 years ago admittedly. Surprised ? You bet !

VB