russ abbott - royds broth

Puck needed for a meridian 506

14 posts in this topic

I've never heard of a 506 needing a puck... The instructions you can download on the internet don't mention a puck.

Feel free to dump it, boxed and carefully wrapped, with a courier that I will arrange..

I'am talking about the fixed one that sits in the tray.

For some reason it has gone awol.

If i can't get hold of one will see if a friend can try and make one on his lathe.

Dealer

Blue tac and a boiled sweet?

ah I see - the clamp that clamps down inside the machine?

It's a magnet I think and is probably in the mech somewhere attached to some metal (maybe the roof of the mech draw?). There was a thread somewhere else that popped up in a search to see if the 506 did indeed use a puck - could be a problem that has happened to others.

yeah, have a look inside.

on other players it's normally a magnetic thing that clamps down on top of the spindle to keep it there. The link I saw about the 506 just now mentions that it was a magnetic disc too.

From what I recall when I took mine apart there is a magnet which is lowered as the drawer slides in. You'll need to remove the top cover if the drawer housing. It's not that hard to do and you're bound to see how it works.

Yes put my fingers in and felt the round circle wobbly bit that clamps down.

Was hoping it might have got stuck on the roof part.

Oh well maybe i'll just get a dac s/box and not bother with cd.

It's strange that the part has just vanished. Ok, the only way to (without removing the top casing plate & the cd mech lid) is to gently tilt / wobble etc the unit to see if you can hear the part moving around inside. The mech is a Philips CDM12 (not sure which version, but they are all pretty similar regarding the main parts.

Have a look at this page for some pictures of it.

http://hifi-unlimited.blogspot.com/2010/02/back-from-brink-2nd-life-for-my-marantz.html

Thanks but i doubt i'll bother.

Will open it one more time and maybe strip around the mech to see if its there.

I've tried turning it upside down and trying to hear a rattle but all i think i could hear was the wobbly wheel knocking.

Looks similar to this one.

Philips+CD+Pro.jpg