Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FS: Rare Lindley-Allen Quad ESLs, finest ESLs ever made

21 posts in this topic

No, this isn't a resurrected post but long-time wammers will remember my much-loved Lindley-Allen Quad ESLs which went down a storm at a classical music bake-off I held must be at least three years ago now. Well the chap who bought them is down-sizing and is looking to sell. So I thought I'd help him by offering them here on the Wam for him before he takes them to eBay next week.

They were actually commissioned in the mid-90s, by veteran (in more than one sense of the word :P) wammer Mighty Ant, and assembled from brand new factory Quad parts by Peter Lindley, well known as an amp designer and general electronics guru in East Anglia, who was a mate of Peter Walker. So they may well be the very last 'new' Quad ESLs ever made, at least until the German ones started being built.

The electronics are very high quality bits, including (I understand) an improved transformer arrangement (the guys at One Thing were very keen to get their hands on them to explore exactly what this was, but in my charge they never needed to make the visit) and improved components in the crossovers as well as better wiring, connectors etc - they were made with no expense spared in this department.

The frames are solid walnut and an absolutely beautiful waxed finish when I had them - I'd be surprised, knowing the home they went to, if they were any different now. All in all really beautiful works of art and would have to be in the £10k to £15k bracket if you wanted an equivalent today.

I thought seriously about having them back when I heard about this earlier today but I have an active crossover unit about to drop for the Tannoys as well as having the cabs refurbed and braced just before Christmas. So I'm ruled out. But it was tempting ... the sound of these ESLs is just wonderful, benefiting from both the improved electronics and the more rigid frames, in fact these are everything the original Quad ESL 57 had the potential to be. They have standard treble and bass panels but there would be no issue fitting OTA-improved panels if this was desired (I saw no need whatever).

Anyway just PM and I'm happy to put potential buyers in touch. These have the opportunity now to come back to the Wam and I for one would be very pleased to see a Wammer jumping on them. I sold my very nice, recently re-panneled ESLs, on One Thing Rupert stands (to Rabski, as it happens ...) to raise the cash for these, and never regretted it for a second.

The price .. he only wants £1600 which is quite a bit less than I bought or sold them for, buyer collects from the Bournemouth area. I honestly can't imagine £1600 better spent on speakers. (Btw I'm not on any kind of cut of the proceeds, just helping the bloke out).

DSC_1045.jpg

DSC_1046.jpg

they look superb tom, a real bargan :love:

These are his pictures sent today. I had (a bit) more space between mine.

Golly, some wammer buy these, they were indeed exquisite at that bake-off! An excellent price for ESL-57s with everything that was ever really wrong with the design (components, rigidity) sorted. Any they look like proper furniture...

As I said, Tom, when you sold them yourself "Bugger, but my room isn't big enough".

But they are s-o-o bootiful.

Golly, some wammer buy these, they were indeed exquisite at that bake-off! An excellent price for ESL-57s with everything that was ever really wrong with the design (components, rigidity) sorted. Any they look like proper furniture...

+1

Streuth, these were good at Tom's place.

If I wasn't sorted speaker-wise I'd have 'em in a flash.

Simply amazing speakers. :^ And the price is a stonking bargain.

Buy 'em back, Tom.

Tannoys ... ye gods. :roll::doh:

:P

As a Quad ESL57 owner and having heard these they really are a large step up from standard items. It was the bass that was most impressive, it appeared to be considerably deeped and tighter (probably due to the extra weight and ridigity of the frames.

A stonking pair of speakers at the cost of a pair of one thing audio refurbed standard speakers! If you were considering ESL57s then buy these instead!

I suspect they are too big for my loft room else I would be selling my ESL57s and buying these. Maybe when they come up next time :-)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0