Due to a configuration issue, PayPal are currently configuring some changes for us therefore PayPal’s gateway is temporarily unavailable. We have set up a safe alternative gateway called Stripe so please use this for your Super Wammer subscription upgrades. Many thanks. Tech Team

The SEARCH function is currently under review due to a large number of old unstructured posts. This may take 1-2 days to complete. Alternatively, please use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

mad-moon

Help with speaker mode

6 posts in this topic

Can anyone help with speaker mode..can you tell me what these modes are..excluding stereo and mono of course...[IMG][IMG]http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff281/spooneymoon/SPEAKERMODE.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

What model is the amp ? Knowing that you can almost certainly find the instruction book on t'internet. But here's a wild guess:

Mono: Sums both the input signals and feeds this sum to both speakers
Right (Left): Feeds the right (left) input signal to both speakers
Stereo: Left signal to left speaker, right signal to right speaker
Rev(erse): Left signal to right speaker, right signal to left speaker

VB

^^^ Wot 'e said is spot on ^^^

I've never been sure why anyone would want to use any of the settings offered (except the reverse setting if you suspect you have a speaker problem) but it's nice to know that you have the option, I suppose!

[quote name='Valvebloke']What model is the amp ? Knowing that you can almost certainly find the instruction book on t'internet. But here's a wild guess:

Mono: Sums both the input signals and feeds this sum to both speakers
Right (Left): Feeds the right (left) input signal to both speakers
Stereo: Left signal to left speaker, right signal to right speaker
Rev(erse): Left signal to right speaker, right signal to left speaker

VB[/QUOTE]
Hello Valvebloke..It is an old Rotel RX-800. looking at your reply..the left right sum seems to make common sense to me now...left channel..feeding the left stereo channel into both speakers and vice versa for the right channel...can't really here a vast amount of difference..the reverse option gives an almost mix between stereo/mono..not quite stereo and not quite mono..and sort of takes away some of the dynamics.

[quote name='Beobloke']^^^ Wot 'e said is spot on ^^^

I've never been sure why anyone would want to use any of the settings offered (except the reverse setting if you suspect you have a speaker problem) but it's nice to know that you have the option, I suppose![/QUOTE]

At the time of this amplifier, there was still a fair bit of mono equipment in use, especially tape recorders and tuners. These only had a single output cable, and the ability to feed L (or R) into both channels for dual-channel mono was very useful.

Channel reverse wasn't hugely useful, except it would identify bad wiring, if the violins were on the right! One setting which was useful (but wasn't on the above amplifier) was a mono with one channel inverted switch. This could be used to test channel balance in a cartridge, play a mono LP and switch to mono with one channel reversed. Anything still audible indicated what and where the channel imbalance was.

S.