Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Borats Baby

Full range drivers, Fostex / Audio Nirvana / Lowther etc

23 posts in this topic

a big audio nirvana driver (12") was quite a disappointing experience for me, lightweight and not very accurate in 250 liter box.

anubisgrau wrote:

a big audio nirvana driver (12") was quite a disappointing experience for me, lightweight and not very accurate in 250 liter box.

Thanks for that... there seems to be alot of hype on the manufacturer's website though. :P

JJ

anubisgrau wrote:

did you try them in open baffle? they are supposed to be good for that ;)

:cool:

HoopsOnToast wrote:

anubisgrau wrote:

did you try them in open baffle? they are supposed to be good for that ;)

:cool:

it performed much better with a different amp - dropping a classic jean hiraga amp (not sure but i think around 20W of pure class A) in instead of 2A3 SET brought abetter overall balance. it definitely has apotential - the overall tone is correct, for even response it just needs a carefuly tailored cabinet instead of a wierd, huge sextagonalbass reflex box. i have no other explanation why would a 8" fostex go subjectivelydeeper than AN.it also seems to benefit from a shorter listening distance - not really a nearfield, but close.

BB,

I've used single fullrangers for some time, 47Lab and Fostex - you may find that they do most things (the important things, ime) so well that the lowest of bass won't be an important issue any more. If you like what they do pretty much all other speakers will sound fatally compromised.

hth

Lee

edit: bugger, just noticed your original post was months ago! oh, well....

this is extremely interesting

a bulgarian:shock:take on FRs ala lowther

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=04e6b4dbe1946e0a5a666e365a06dcac&threadid=70204&highlight=

if the QC is good than it could be really interesting for that money