• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Moko

Any Ideas How To Tidy Up Plastic Casings?

7 posts in this topic

I picked up a cheap Technics SL-5 yesterday and the silver plastic casing has a few scratches & marks on it, and I wondered if anyone here had any good ideas of how to repair these sort of marks?

I'm guessing but would something like those car repair paint stick things do the job?

The plastic is probably HIPs, high impact polystyrene or ABS, Acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene, both are thermoplastics, hard, reasonable brittle, cannot really be sanded cleanly , so the option is to sand it back more than needed, fill it and spray it. basically a complete refinish.

I think the problem the OP has is that it is silver - which normally means its black plastic with a really light coat of paint on. If you polish that, you'll just remove loads of paint and it will look even worse.

I've had good results using a cocktail stick to apply tiny amounts of silver car touch up paint but it will never look totally new unless you unscrew the case completely, sand, fill and respray it.

Have you looked at textured paint ?

Most DIY stores sell a "textured" paint. Some have like a fine grain sand in the paint, and others are more like the cast iron finish . It does of course mean a complete re-spray, but its good a filling scratches.

Alan

Brasso

Thanks for the replies, the problem is basically the cheap plastic case has the base colour black showing through the silver paint finish so I guess I live with it or go the whole hog & respray it completely.