ncdrawl

can SQ be measured??

8 posts in this topic

It's so much easier to say measurements tell you eveything and the guys who subjectively listen for differences are nutters. I did the diy thing for years and not only do I know that measurements don't tell you everything, I can also prove it.

Guttenberg is spouting nonsense. Sound Quality doesn't exist as an objective measureable item, it's in the mind of each listener. If it weren't, why do we, on here and elsewhere, have one person saying product X is great, another says it's rubbish? That's because we all hear things differently, have different tastes, and different ideas of what sounds good.

Sound Quality can't be measured, but Technical Performance can be, and has to be, to ensure that a product does what it's supposed to do. Without technical measurments, no manufacturer could ensure that S/No 1,245 performed the same as S/No 0567 and indeed S/No 0001. Each one could be different, and how would anyone know?

Guttenberg is confusing Sound Quality with Technical Performance. He's stating that there's no correlation between Technical Performance and what sounds good to him.

That may be, but it's not true for others. Me for instance. I have NEVER heard a product that measured well and sounded bad. By well, I mean a full set of measurements, not just THD, or Frequency Response or whatever. If it measured well, it also sounded good. However, I've heard many products that measured badly and still sounded good. This shows to me that we're not very critical of technical performance. If we were, then there would be no market for valve amplifiers, vinyl replay or most high-efficiency loudspeakers.

S.

I don't think he's spouting nonsense, just one man's viewpoint that justifies and fits his experience, no more no less, no more or less valid than your own opinion. We, mostly, listen for enjoyment, and the only measure of my enjoyment is me.

I don't think he's spouting nonsense, just one man's viewpoint that justifies and fits his experience, no more no less, no more or less valid than your own opinion. We, mostly, listen for enjoyment, and the only measure of my enjoyment is me.

Well, I reread his article, and it still makes no sense to me, ergo, nonsense. I just don't understand what he's bleating about, but then, I've never understood any of his articles, perhaps he should have stuck to film projecting.

S.

The sooner those SI people get off their arses and give us some proper units for musicality, detail, soundstaging and midrange-sweetness, the sooner we can sort this whole thing out.

Well, I reread his article, and it still makes no sense to me, ergo, nonsense. I just don't understand what he's bleating about, but then, I've never understood any of his articles, perhaps he should have stuck to film projecting.

S.

:D I think the dead possum I hit last night with my car could write as well as guttenberg. he was good in police academy though!