gjm

AD1 power amp

6 posts in this topic

Anyone built or used one of these? Seems they might be horribly expensive unless you've already got some, and quite low-power (3.5-4.5wpc) but apparently very nice.

No real interest, of course... :whistle:

And I'll post summat about my 2A3s shortly. :)

Qu'est-ce que c'est le AD1?

AD1 was/is a very sought after small power triode made by Telefunken. It might be said to be Europe's 300B or 45 (although doubtless there'd be some who'd say that one of the old British triodes deservred that accolade). I heard a 3W AD1 amp at Maison de L'audiophile in Paris many years ago. It sounded like many other similar small SET amps using 2A3, PX4 etc. I'm convinced the iron & circuit used have more influence than the particular type of triode. They can almost always be made to sound lovely in the right surroundings.

http://www.emissionlabs.com/datasheets/EML-AD1.htm

Telefunken, Tungsol and Valvo made the normally 'NOS' tubes - these tend to sell for some interesting type money.

Yamamoto's A06-3 uses AD1s in a stereo power amplifier. I was thinking of monoblocks.

I suspect Guy's comments may form my voice of reason. :) Rather than splurge on a different DHT SET tube, spend on iron for the amps I have. It's an option.

i believe AD1 was a subject to a specific cult related to german tubes - i know someone who built it using wermacht RS242 as a driver with some mercury vapour in the PS and swears it's the best sounding thing ever. but i agree with guy - unless you are looking for some very very specific sound which may be largely based on aural illusions, there's plenty of cheaper tubes which can make life much easier if you focus on topology and transformers. some russian tubes these days are just great for this purpose, both drivers and output ones. not convinced about their rectifiers but everything else can be found there cheap and very useful.