Borats Baby

Tablet PC's ?

25 posts in this topic

Got £170 for xmas and want to spend it on a tablet .

Now, I'll buy used if I could get one in really good condition, but new also an option if a good one can be had for my budget.

Android would be good as my phone uses this and I'm familiar with it.

3G not really a necessity as I can use my phone as a wifi hotspot if needed when out and about.

I'd like bigger than 7" which is what seems to be the average size. Maybe 8 or 9" screen.

I really can't go over my budget.

I DONT WANT A IPAD !

So, does anyone have any experiences ? Does anyone have owt for sale ? One I keep seeing crop up is a "VIA android tablet" Look ok, but I've never heard of VIA ?

Any help appreciated guys ..

Second hand Asus Eee Transformer is nice. You may have to add a few quid to the kitty, but not too much.

I had the Archos G9 8" tablet, and sent it back as the first batch had a design/case issue.

The newer ones now have that sorted, and its really quite good for the money if you want a tablet.

Its full Andriod 3.2 (honeycomb) and has a full sized USB, Micro SD slot, Micro USB slot, Kick Stand and about 10-12+ hour battery life.

You can upgrade it later if you want with a USB 3G dongle that slots inside it.

One thing with the Archos is, that at the end of the day, its a £200 (new) tablet, its overall build and screen are not as good as the 'mainstream' ones, but then it is half the price.

There is also the Blackberry Playbook now under £200, and possibly the Kindle Fire at some point, but no firm release date AFAIK.

Hi Rikki

Have a look at Creative, they did something similar and was not too expensive, 7 or 10 inch from memory.

That Creative ZiiO 10 looks the biz Lee !!

Have you handled one before ? Are they well put together ?

I've not bought anything yet, but have put a few bits on ebay to up the budget a bit.. I can probably stretch to £300 now, but if the creative is good enough..

Looks very promising. Also has some Office productivity software, so you can use it for business. Probably could be setup as a remote for Foobar2000. What's not to like?

The Motorola Xoom was down to £250 at Dixons yesterday, back up to £330 now. I think that you can get an extra 10% off with the code TABLET 10.

I think that the Xoom 2 Media version, with the mid-size screen (8") looks pretty sweet, with a £330 RRP I think. Much lighter than most, and the screen size makes the most sense to me.