take5

Paying for greek holiday. ADVICE PLEASE

9 posts in this topic

So, we are looking at going to Greece this summer.

Normally we avoid package holidays and just book things direct.

We have found a few places which we like. It involves dealing direct with Greek owners. The deal is deposit now and balance nearer the time.

We are a bit wary because of the uncertainty about Greece still being in the Euro , or not.

If they do pull out, is that likely to be in our favour or against us financially. ie if we have to pay in Drachmas 5 months from now.

Any thoughts?

See if you can book any of them through something like Expedia. If you pay the hotel direct, you have virtually no protection. Expedia does mean having to pay the whole lot up front, but the price is fixed and there is at least some protection.

There is also the uncertainty of travel companies and budget airlines going bust (Thomas Cook etc)

If you do book a package through an ABTA member at least you are protected if they go bust and they will get you home.

I would hold off, in a couple of months you'll be able to buy the hotel rather than just renting a room.

:P

Agree with Coco - perhaps a bad time to be committing yourself to things Greek.

What about a week in Fleetwood? - not far from you. :D

There is also the uncertainty of travel companies and budget airlines going bust (Thomas Cook etc)

If you do book a package through an ABTA member at least you are protected if they go bust and they will get you home.

Sorry, but wrong.

ABTA in itself offers virtually no financial protection, though you can buy some.

ATOL is what will refund you and get you home. However, if you book direct and unless you book a package holiday (a tour operator providing both flights and accommodation) you are unlikely to have any protection.

Coco is nearly right. In a couple of months, I reckon you'll be able to buy the country, not just the hotel.

Paying the full balance nearer the time to people you don't know in a country which is as financially stable as a spinning coin? I wouldn't unless there was guarantee of refund or insurance of some sort. The way things are in Greece, hoteliers may struggle to get full occupancy from anyone but the Greeks this year, so they'll be desperate to secure early bookings and if things go tits up, and you've paid direct, you have little redress if paying direct. My guess is that there may be more last minute vacancies this year in many Greek resorts. You could try negotiating with them and saying you'll pay the full balance upon arrival which is presumably what you'd do if you privately booked into a hotel (well, paid at checkout time anyway but with private hoteliers it may be reasonable to expect to pay the balance on arrival).

Thanks for your help and advise guys.

Fleetwood, no thanks. been there.

The Meze was a mess. The Retsina made me wretch. Spinach pie..... well Popeye wouldnt be half the man if he had eaten Fleetwoods version. So, I'll stick to Greece, which does Greece very well.

Not so worried about the safety aspect. We would fly budget Airline, with Ryanair being botom of the list. We have already negotiated with the owners, and pay small deposit, with balance payable on arrival.

No, the question was really about the implications if Greece leaves the Euro.

So, is my balance due going to be much higher, much lower, or about the same. ie, once converted into sterling

Anyone with knowledge of how the financial markets are predicting that this will go?

Thanks