Nick J

Old or new CD player? Advice sought

25 posts in this topic

I am building a respectable set up of cd player and amplifier, already having bought some decent mission bookshelf speakers. I am thinking about matching the speakers with a mission cyrus 1 amp which I would source from e-bay, but need advice before doing something stupid. I could buy an older cd player, or a new budget machine, but given the advances in cd player technology, would a venerable machine serve me as well as a new model? This is my first outing here, so please be kind! Nick

If you are referring to technical performance, according to Stereophile's tests there were several manufacturers achieving top performance back in the mid-nineties.

Many players from the time were also better built but for some of them there are no replacement parts available anymore.

You'll find quite a few people using old Sony ES players and, believe it or not, my venerable Pioneer is 25 years old (but sports a new laser).

Cheers,

Ric

I've got two CDPs - both quite elderly - a Sony ES and a Marantz ki. Both still excellent to my ears, but I suppose they could break down at some point. Older kit often offers good VFM performance wise, but there is always a reliability/repair cost aspect to the argument.

:^

I am building a respectable set up of cd player and amplifier, already having bought some decent mission bookshelf speakers. I am thinking about matching the speakers with a mission cyrus 1 amp which I would source from e-bay, but need advice before doing something stupid. I could buy an older cd player, or a new budget machine, but given the advances in cd player technology, would a venerable machine serve me as well as a new model? This is my first outing here, so please be kind! Nick
Not really sure this is a technical forum question, but on purely technical grounds i would argue that (if you already have some sort of cd/dvd player with a digital out) you would be best off buying a new dac. You can now obtain dacs very cheaply (eg MF V-DAC, dac magic, r-dac) which measure brilliantly. They will be more future proof and versatile than a pure cd player and you will not be wasting your time buying a new CD transport mechanism.

The V-DAC uses ASRC which makes it largely immune to upstream jitter. Other well designed dacs whill achieve the same result, althogh possibly by other means.

Whatever one may think of the relative merits of new and old cd players, there is always a risk buying an old one that the transport mechanism is knackered.

modern players might be different in presentation / tonality , due to the use of different dac chips, upsamperling technolagy etc if this is better will all come down to personal preference of the listener and the partnering kit , certainly woulnt be put off buying an old player if it's from a quality manufacture then servicing and spares are still generally available and all but the worst cases of breakdowns can generally still be sorted

out of interest what player do you have in mind ?

Mick

I'm not sure. I have an ES myself at home, but am equipping my workspace and retiring budget kit from '85. A few years ago the lazer packed up on the Sony, but it cost less than £100 to replace it. I did check the Musical Fidelity site to see what the costs are for upgrading the x series, since I'm really looking for smooth and detailed, but then I suppose we all are. You don't know a reliable make for budget cables do you? Thanks for your help

I'm not sure. I have an ES myself at home, but am equipping my workspace and retiring budget kit from '85. A few years ago the lazer packed up on the Sony, but it cost less than £100 to replace it. I did check the Musical Fidelity site to see what the costs are for upgrading the x series, since I'm really looking for smooth and detailed, but then I suppose we all are. You don't know a reliable make for budget cables do you? Thanks for your help

user pac67 here does good cable work

Sent from my Android/Galaxy S 4G Hipster Douche Device using Forum Runner

I have two, a Philips CD-850 of early 90's vintage, and around £50. Cracking CDP, only ever skipped once! Another late 90's/early 00's Sony ES SACD/DVD player which sounds a bit better but a bit more sensitive to scratched CD's/DVD's.

Interesting thread that really should be in the main bit as already suggested... anyhow apart from the 'V' 'R' and Dac-Magic' are there any other inexpensive dacs that folks can recommend?

I use a 1986 Denon DCD-1000 for late night listening as it has a nice headphone output and also a 1993 AMC CD6 in my second system and just wonder if a v cheap dac could do much to improve the sound. Saying that I would endorse the comment regarding the sub £500 Marantz stuff, they sound just as good (and smooth) as the big boys.

You can pick up a TEAC VRDS for a reasonable price and they are very good transports indeed and not too shoddy as stand-alone CDP's either.

Biggest bang for buck I have heard is for the Rotel RCD-965BX, early 90's player that for the less than £50 that it will cost you I don't think you will beat. Quite a lot of detail, smooth and very musical, if a touch warm sounding. Still serviceable, Cracking player IMHO.

Biggest problem with the VRDS, and older Sony ES models is as I have found (VRDS 10SE) is the availability of the lasers, can get very expensive. Philips on the other hand, have plenty of spares.

Budget?

Not sure if you mean me, but if so, certainly less than 150 or so that these dacs seem to be going for, and in my particualar case it may need to be 2nd hand as I really cannot commit much in the way of funds at the moment to what is a hobby!