• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
s2000db

Formula One 2012

972 posts in this topic

DIGEST 11

I shall keep it brief this week as I am planning a Half-Term Report.

But highlights this week;

*Accolades to Lewis this week. A fantastic lights to flag drive. No histrionics, no mistakes. Well done.

*Alonso's race was steady. Which is about the best that can be said. Mind you, 5th for a "steady" race, is not a bad return. Is it ?

*Strong drive finally from Senna. Hopefully this will give him the confidence to push every week.

*Maldonado was back to his usual eratic self. Apparently Williams have been working with him to calm him down. Fail !

*Both Webber and Button looked uncomfortable. Neither showed any real fight. Good solid points finishes though.

*The Hulk drove really well and is showing signs of upstaging his well regarded teammate. Was Di Resta distracted by an approach from Ferrari ?

*Highlight for me (again) was the Pit to Car conversation between Vettel and his engineer.....SV: "We need to do something to get past"......Rocky:"We are working on it"......SV: "Don't just talk about it ! Do something !".......fucking priceless. That's two races in a row where we have seen Finger Boy unravelling.

*The Lotus twins finally doing justice to the machinery. I think the team would rather they avoid close calls like Kimi's pit exit. But it's great to see Kimi showing some real gonads. And for once, a faultless drive from Grosjean. More please.

*Well, well, well. Mickey Shoes drives like a newby shocker !! No, I don't mean the stalling on the grid (a software glitch) but his reaction to it. Firstly, let's squeal like a girl "It stalled, it stalled, we need to get this started." Followed by a tantrumous exit from his very early first pit stop, gains him a drive through. I thought this was the level headed, teutonic master and the most experienced racer on the grid :doh: Not a good showing for a 7 time World Champion.

So into the summer recess and a gap of 4 weeks where there is nothing to do but everything that is put off while a race is on.

Now to look back and summarise my F1 year.

Grosjean needs a reprimand for that action especially on what is probably the most dangerous 1st corner in F1.

Grosjean needs a reprimand for that action especially on what is probably the most dangerous 1st corner in F1.

Just seen that Grojean has been banned for 1 race...

Considering that Maldonado has driven into people deliberately twice... seems a bit harsh but the move was utterly stupid...

Considering that Maldonado has driven into people deliberately twice... seems a bit harsh but the move was utterly stupid...

He's a very lucky boy to have got away with a one race ban. Others may have had close racing incidents bordering on the deliberate (Maldenardo especially) but this one was stupidity personified, and put several driver's lives at risk. Alonso came bloody close to being decapitated by an over aggressive and totally uncalled for move. Grojean had his brains in his arse...very surprised at his stupidity.

Fab race for Jenson though, and a well deserved win. Hope his form continues. He may not be the most consistent racer on the track, but I'd still like to see him win another championship.

Personally I'd have banned him for rather more than that, given the chaos he caused.

However it does make me wonder whether F1 should also adopt rolling starts à la US racing and Le Mans. It takes away a bit of the excitement, but it would also remove one of the biggest causes of accidents.

However it does make me wonder whether F1 should also adopt rolling starts à la US racing and Le Mans. It takes away a bit of the excitement, but it would also remove one of the biggest causes of accidents.

I don't think a rolling start makes much difference at Spa to be honest. You still have to get 24 hotheads through a significant braking zone and through la source without incident. In an absolute sense, there was no start incident in 2011 or 2010 so we were probably "overdue" one.

Stricter stewarding (i.e. mulitple bans for Maldonado) would take care of that in a flash