JVS

Official Pork Pie Thread

203 posts in this topic

Are we all happy with the quality of pies from here ?

A couple of local wammers mentioned that better ones are available. I could investigate some alternative suppliers if the consensus is that we could do better.

I don't mind sampling a few :D

I think extensive sampling is essential!

I recommend ratings on

Pastry quality

Texture and taste of pork

Proportion of fat in above

and of course Jelly filling. No Jelly, no Pie.

Having said all that, Walter Smiths in Birmingham make the best Pies I ever tasted, but the D&M were great even if a tad peppery inside with quite strong aspic taste to the jell.:geek:

Was watching that Michael Portillo railway journeys programme a year or so back. He visited Melton & I thought he would head straight for D&M but no. He went to some artisan Pork Pie makers and ended up helping make some. There obviously are other firms in the town. It might be interesting to find out who they are & what they do. We know D&M do make a good range of nice pies etc but it wouldn't hurt to see who else there is in Melton.

I think EoS had suggested that D&M weren't what they once were although I've enjoyed the pies I had from there. I like the pepperiness. Pork pie filling can be cloying & bland. I've no real reference point though. Get tasting Jim!

I tend to agree with you Guy. The D&M pies are ok, but nothing to write home about.

When I was at Steve's (madvinyljunkie) bake off near Leeds a couple of months back, he had a tray of pork pies from his local butcher which were simply stunning - probably the best I've tasted!

OK guys, obviously some very serious research work needed on the pie front.

I'm listening to polarbears kit tonite (who's local) so we'll put our heads together & take up the challenge.

http://www.mmppa.co.uk/

home_r5_c2.jpg

:shock:

2011 Pie Awards....

Class 1: Melton Mowbray Pork Pie Champion:

Melton Mowbray Pork Pie Produced by Mrs Kings Pies in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire

perhaps the best pies arent from Melton!

Yep, with all of the sampling coming up, I reckon my usual "new year resolution diet" will need to be put on hold until after March :cool:

I'll take your Mrs King and raise you one

http://www.waltersmith.co.uk/p/Supreme_Champion_Pork_Pie/f00c0ea694cd45b281bd9e58ec2833b6/e20e813ff8c9468294f80dbb21ea5e1d/

let the tasting commence!

Nearest shop to melton is Tamworth.

Right, I've ordered sample pies from Mrs King and Walter Smith.

I'll let you know what they're like once they arrive :^

Ha....ordering them online is almost like "pie in the sky"

:doh:

Right, I've ordered sample pies from Mrs King and Walter Smith.

I'll let you know what they're like once they arrive :^

Ha....ordering them online is almost like "pie in the sky"

:doh:

I feel for you Jim. The sacrifices we have to make. :mrgreen:

This perfectpie outfit looks like another contender. But I wonder whether we should be trying to find a Melton (or near Melton) based pie pusher. Bringing a little business to the area, ingratiating ourselves with the locals. I suspect there are small makers there for whom it would be a significant little order. Whereas for D&M who normally supply supermarket chains etc, it's neither here nor there.

I feel for you Jim. The sacrifices we have to make. :mrgreen:

This perfectpie outfit looks like another contender. But I wonder whether we should be trying to find a Melton (or near Melton) based pie pusher. Bringing a little business to the area, ingratiating ourselves with the locals. I suspect there are small makers there for whom it would be a significant little order. Whereas for D&M who normally supply supermarket chains etc, it's neither here nor there.

I know Guy, but someone's got to do it :D .....but thinking about it, alternative opinions would be very handy. Maybe other wammers would like to take part. We could all order pies then compare notes. (maybe one a week for the next few weeks - we could call it The Wammers Pie Club :D)

Someone suggested a local butcher in last year's pie thread, he also said they were much better than D&M.