Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sheva

Pioneer A400 amp - what's it sound like?

21 posts in this topic

I’ve seen this referred to a few times as a classic, and identified as a seminal moment in amp design/value, but I’ve never heard one. What sort of characteristic sound did it have? I always thought of Pioneer of having a quite lush house sound, but I get the impression that the A400 was a lot leaner and punchier. Just curious…

harsh shouty and nasty ,i had one for a few years . buy a rotel instead far more relaxed.

rudolph hucker wrote:

harsh and nasty i had one for a few years . buy a rotel instead far more relaxed.[/quote}

Not entirely, its a clean and quite thin sound. Requires a smooth, warm (often more expensive) source to sound its best imo. It was my first proper amp. Partnered with the right kit its a really good amp, the internal phono stage is poor though.

spot on papa with a laid back front end and smooth speakers it sounds ok.

certainly not a super amp as quoted in the hifi press many years ago though.

I owned one for about3 hours.

At first listen it is amazingly like a real audiophile amp - then you realise that it's got no "life" at all. Just an empty shell.

Sad innit? :(

I loved mine, a mate of mine still uses it, don't use it with bright sounding source or speakers else its paracetamol time

I use one in my studio sometimes as a reference amp. It can sound fatiguing with certain CDP/speakers but get it right and it is very revealing.

I had one in the early 90s.... excruciatingly harsh but every mag in the business (even Gramophone) said it was the one to have so I bought it. That taught me a lesson.

My mate had one, one of the best amp Pioneer ever made but that doesn't mean a lot!

We have one in the back living room. It's fantastic imo. But i'm sure matching has something to do with it.

For instance, we have it driving a pair of Leak Sandwich speakers (big and warm) and it really injects some life into them. I've also had great results with B&W 601s. I can imagine the negative experiences above though if used with brighter speakers.

For me it's very powerful indeed, clean, dynamic and exciting. It depends what you listen to. But it's pretty hard to beat for high volume blues/rock/live acoustic stuff. Although it might not please the hardened 'audiophile', it's a ton of fun, as it were.

rudolph hucker wrote:

harsh shouty and nasty ,i had one for a few years .

I'm with Rudi on this one: IMO/E it was one of the most inexplicably over-rated pieces of kit it has been my misfortune to hear.

Boxer

Alex_A wrote:

We have one in the back living room. It's fantastic imo. But i'm sure matching has something to do with it.

For instance, we have it driving a pair of Leak Sandwich speakers (big and warm) and it really injects some life into them. I've also had great results with B&W 601s. I can imagine the negative experiences above though if used with brighter speakers.

For me it's very powerful indeed, clean, dynamic and exciting. It depends what you listen to. But it's pretty hard to beat for high volume blues/rock/live acoustic stuff. Although it might not please the hardened 'audiophile', it's a ton of fun, as it were.

Alex is this the amp you were/are suggesting over are HK6550 or HK6150 ? ;).

It cant be that amazing :P

enjoy_the_music wrote:

Was their reference Naim?

A friend of mine has one in his 2nd system - it rocks but can be harsh but absolutely no similarity with Naim at all.