ncdrawl

dynamic range database

21 posts in this topic

It's interesting to compare originals against remasters. Looking at NIN - Pretty Hate Machine, orig 13db, remaster 6db. I'm surprised Einsturzende releases are 'relatively' poor, i always got the impression they were better. Extensive database though, Covenant, APB, VNV, SP, FLA all included.

I downloaded the app to do some submissions but it appears to only do mp3 and wav files, although it's odd because the submission form has flac in the list. I also can't find the log file it creates :nuts:

I find the vst plugin works well with your daw of choice..mine is sequoia.

Joshua judges Ruth and aic unplugged are two modern faves as well as ray Lamontagne till the sun turns black

Now that's very interesting ~ thanks for the link :^ Rep added.

One thing that I found interesting is that early cd editions often have a better dynamic range than vinyl rips of the same album....at least at some point in time someone took advantage of the medium!

Kinda depressing that some early editions with superior DR are lost to the mists of time/stupidly expensive :(

Anyone know of examples of reissues that, despite compressed DR, sound better than earlier issues due to better transfer or whatever? I guess DR isn't the only measure of SQ?

Very interesting link, and rather depressing to see how the later remasters gradually ruin the DR. I'd always found the early REM albums easier to listen to, turns out the later albums were mostly crushed to death.

Repped Teddy :^

what the hell? yalld be late to your own damn funerals. i posted this last year, dumbasses.

:D

what the hell? yalld be late to your own damn funerals. i posted this last year, dumbasses.

:D

And WTF is going on - there hasnt even been the obligatory 'Holy Thread Resurrection Batman' post either!

One thing that I found interesting is that early cd editions often have a better dynamic range than vinyl rips of the same album....at least at some point in time someone took advantage of the medium!

Kinda depressing that some early editions with superior DR are lost to the mists of time/stupidly expensive :(

Anyone know of examples of reissues that, despite compressed DR, sound better than earlier issues due to better transfer or whatever? I guess DR isn't the only measure of SQ?[/QUOTE]

Thats an interesting point NAM. Maybe Teddy or Serge can shed some light on what else, besides DR, makes for a good recording.

Not knowing a lot about this but wouldnt DR also be quite dependant on the type of music recorded in the first place?

I mean surely a solo female voice isnt going to have the same DR as a full Orchestra.

Or is the DR indicated on the linked site relative to the recorded instrument/voice? (does that make sense?)

Anyone know of examples of reissues that, despite compressed DR, sound better than earlier issues due to better transfer or whatever? I guess DR isn't the only measure of SQ?[/QUOTE]

Thats an interesting point NAM. Maybe Teddy or Serge can shed some light on what else, besides DR, makes for a good recording.

Not knowing a lot about this but wouldnt DR also be quite dependant on the type of music recorded in the first place?

I mean surely a solo female voice isnt going to have the same DR as a full Orchestra.

Or is the DR indicated on the linked site relative to the recorded instrument/voice? (does that make sense?)

Yeah, i guess the obvious one is all out blasting metal where everything is going at the same volume full speed ahead....but i remember someone mentioning on here before that a transient like a drum beat may require more energy to attain the same subjective (and more 'realistic') 'volume', because of the short duration...and I guess that information is encoded in the waveform as a higher amplitude relative to the average dB....and equating to a higher dynamic range?