whizzkid

An Introduction to..... African Music.

39 posts in this topic

My first awareness of anything African in musical terms was probably Paul Simon's Gracelands and have recently learned that the influences for that album are South African. Since that album was released there has been an explosion of sounds from Africa in the west that range from the music of the the tribes of the Sahara to the clubs of Nairobi to the ethnic sounds of the music mad country of Mali to the Arabesque music of Egypt. So with such a rich diversity and heritage in music I think we should celebrate this in this series so anything from the continent Africa goes here as I have no clue about styles its going to be a learning curve for me and I hope there are a few passionate "World Music" lovers out there in Wamland.

One video per post please guys.

"The curious beauty of African music is that it uplifts even as it tells a sad tale. You may be poor, you may have only a ramshackle house, you may have lost your job, but that song gives you hope. African music is often about the aspirations of the A” - Nelson Mandela

I'll start of with a guy I was introduced to by our own JVS (Jim) and Baggawire (Ian) the wonderful sounds of Nigeria courtesy of the sublime ...

Fela Kuti - Zombie

[video=youtube;iBgewcFh-cg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBgewcFh-cg

Dean..

The group featured in Gracelands are the now well known Ladysmith Black Mombazo. Their music IS good, but there's something they say in almost every song that sounds like "Ape shit!". Listen to "Homeless" and then listen to other songs and you'll hear it!

And I've actually posted this before so the second time this patriotic Eritrean song has appeared on the Wam! Really nice African/Arabic melody

[video=youtube;v-9MQN2lKKA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-9MQN2lKKA

Don't know who she is, just found it browsing Eritrean music on YouTube. As you do...

Algerian Rai classic - Cheba Fadela & Cheb Sahraoui

[video=youtube;73LWWelr_Po]

Poor sound quality but the accompanying visuals are quite trippy.

Weirder still, it was released on Factory Records (home to Joy Division, New Order, Durutti Column, ACR etc...)

An Ethiopian take on Jazz. From the wonderful "Ethio Jazz" LP - Mulatu Astatke & Fekade Amde Maskal...

[video=youtube;6vq3n4plTM0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vq3n4plTM0&feature=player_detailpage

Nigerian pysch-funk courtesy of Ofo The Black Company...

[video=youtube;1PIj2hweXfo]

Stone cold classic...

[video=youtube;ojXISSOvWFc]