strocky

Pink Floyd Discovery Box Set on Amazon Black Friday Sale

14 posts in this topic

Still a good chance ofthis being available as I clicked on 'join queue' just after 10am and shortly after was offered the box set.

Decided I don't need it after all so I'm setting it free for someone else.

If anyone's interested, the "standard" price for this is now £100 - good value for 14 albums...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Discovery-Pink-Floyd/dp/B004ZNACA6/ref=cm_rdp_product

I guess they're not selling in anything like the numbers EMI had hoped - maybe Floyd fans are fed up of getting ripped off and keeping the cash in their pockets? HMV in Swindon have them in store at £99 as well so looks like a price drop across the board..

These'll drop in price like stones after xmas. I've a past pupil working part time for hmv and he'll keep an eye out for me......I have all 14 cd's but I fancy some of the funky vinyls.

I have just ordered this set as a xmas present ironically for my parents.

Does anyone know how these remastered versions compare to the previous CD releases, is it worth me updating my PF collection. I know I could just listen to the box set when it arrives but I would rather not.

I am still waiting for the wish you were here SACD but I am not holding my breath.

I got a box at £70 so can answer (partly) your question. The masters generally are very good, very little in the way of dynamic compression, certainly The Wall is punchier than my Shine On box (91? master). These 2011 masters are being praised, the best digital versions since the first releases. Depends what you like, I have about 5 DSOTM CDs now and the first edition I find a bit flat. The SACD DSOTM is my favourite, but the 2011 Discovery version is excellent, a very clean, but not glassy/digital sound. I like it...

The Wish You Were Here SACD is out - get it from Acoustic Sounds. I got mine from JPC in Germany so there was no chance of extra charges, but I think they may be struggling for stock so Acoustic Sounds is more reliable maybe.

The SACD is astonishing, it really is. Over on Steve Hoffman's forums they are saying it's the best Red Book CD version yet released as well, so if the album is important to you I'd recommend getting one while they're still available. On the spine it says it's a limited edition.

I am still waiting for the wish you were here SACD but I am not holding my breath.

Slightly off topic of the thread but I see that amazon.com is selling this as well (on preorder), sadly not .uk though. I notice the american site has some nice stock actually obviously more of an audiophile market over there.

One hopes that the WYWH vinyl (has it got proper black vinyl shrink-wrap outside cardboard sleeve???) is super, as I suspect that I (who for a bad joke sort of gave away most my cherished LPs) really want to buy it-TDSOTM-TW.