Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sheva

Matching speaker stands for expensive standmounts

20 posts in this topic

All the expensive standmounts seem to have their own extremely expensive matching stands, for example the SF Cremona Auditors, Focal 1007s etc, which seem to cost at least £600+. Are these really necessarily, or are they just an aesthetic gimmick. If you were to buy a decent pair of fully welded filled stands with a big top plate (I’m thinking of something like the Partingtons with 4 supports (Heavies:? )), would they be just as effective? Certainly you wouldn’t have to worry about purchasing separate stands again if you changed speaker model.

are you bored today??? you seem to be starting a post a minute!:)

IM recentE aftermarket stands are bigger, heavier and better VFM by a country mile. Part's are brilliant example os why spending 250 is better than spending 600 IMO:)

I never realised just how important stands are for speakers untill i put a pair of Target R1`s under the AVI`s i had at the time, they made a hell of a difference, again 4 pillars (lead filled) with hefty top and bottom plates, i think they are discontiued but sonus make a copy now, but at around £350 they were expensive, they also worked wonders on some tannoy 12L`s, when i ended up with speakers that were too big for them i put them on Ebay and got £90, i was sick as a parrot.

there are plenty of manufactures that will make stands to your exact dimensions for under £250 ! Custom design, Something Solid and Partington(?) to name 3

So I don't see the need to buy rip-off "matching" (and often inferior) stands

I think the matching stands thing is a con at the prices most of them charge.

New Wilson Duette standmount is £9k .. the stands will set you back an additional £1.8k !!! :shock:

£1800!!! You could have a brand new superfly system for that sum!!

duette_silber_rot.jpg

Sheva wrote:

All the expensive standmounts seem to have their own extremely expensive matching stands, for example the SF Cremona Auditors, Focal 1007s etc, which seem to cost at least £600+. Are these really necessarily, or are they just an aesthetic gimmick. If you were to buy a decent pair of fully welded filled stands with a big top plate (I’m thinking of something like the Partingtons with 4 supports (Heavies:? )), would they be just as effective? Certainly you wouldn’t have to worry about purchasing separate stands again if you changed speaker model.

Some companies make decent stands B&W and Focal are worth the money but some of the others are to me a waste of dosh

The stands for the Sonus Faber CA are perhaps as custom as you can get. But I just use really high quality non speaker spesific stands (£400). I can tilt them back to the appropriate angle to get the correct time alignment for the Auditors, and I can also use them for any other speakers I choose. I'm sure the dedicated Auditor stands might add a little, but from experience, not much. And second hand value on stands in particular means that if you're a 'standmount person' you may as well invest in a seriously good quality 'universal' stand that you can keep through speaker upgrades.

nixon_fiend wrote:

Thing is a con at the prices most of them charge.

New Wilson Duette standmount is £9k .. the stands will set you back an additional £1.8k !!! :shock:

£1800!!! You could have a brand new superfly system for that sum!!

duette_silber_rot.jpg

You're forgetting that they're made of the most costly synthetic in the world: X material! or is it W material. One of them. It's like buying solid gold...

Glens of Antrim wrote:

Alex_A wrote:

duette_silber_rot.jpg

You're forgetting that they're made of the most costly synthetic in the world: X material! or is it W material. One of them. It's like buying solid gold...

Those speakers are beautiful :love::love::love:

I want :22:

Unfortunately they sound like about a quarter of what they sell for imho.

Obviously my standmounts came with their own custom stands, i believe Wilson Benesch sell a major percentage of them this way. The Arcs are available without the supports, as i believe some customers use them in multi-channel applications, they also provide a wall mount for this purpose.

I believe the the stands retail in the region of 400 pounds?

Personally it was a no-brainer for me to buy them with the dedicated stands, the cabinets are secured via 3 allen bolts giving an immensely rigid structure.

darrenmayne wrote:

I think the matching ones are probably more for looks and to make money.

Although there are certain instances, like with the Dynaudio Stand 4 where the speaker stand mounts to the speaker

Stand 4 (orprevious 2) works a treat with Contour S1.4 and probably Confidence 1. Think a pair wouldcostabout £200.

Papa Lazarou wrote:

Obviously my standmounts came with their own custom stands, i believe Wilson Benesch sell a major percentage of them this way. The Arcs are available without the supports, as i believe some customers use them in multi-channel applications, they also provide a wall mount for this purpose.

I believe the the stands retail in the region of 400 pounds?

Personally it was a no-brainer for me to buy them with the dedicated stands, the cabinets are secured via 3 allen bolts giving an immensely rigid structure.

Similar situation with Revels, but if they stay at the new Testy towers, I will be doing a bit of mass loading both for accoustic and saftey (little one seems to be attacted to the Hifi like a magnet;)) reasons.