Piotr Jawor

Budget 2 channel system

18 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a new system and I think I have decided on the Matantz CD6004/PM6004 combo as it is the best I have heard in my price range. Has anyone any suggestions for the best speakers to use with this system?

Tannoy and Jean Marie Reynaud complement that system well, or so my local trusted high end retailers say (this is their budget offering)...

I think you can do a lot better Second Hand for £600 (CD/Amp combo) Whats the budget for the speakers? And room size, listening habits etc?

Hi Eric, I don't know anything about Jean Marie Reynaud speakers - i checked their website, are they popular? Also I am wondering about Tannoy, I found a link to these -http://www.sightandsounduk.com/Marantz-PM6004-CD6004-Tannoy-Mercury-V4.html is the Marantz amp capable of driving these floorstanders?

This Marantz amp will work fine with most speakers. It's whether you like the sound that's important so you really need a demo or two with your favourite tunes.

The Mercury V4 is the one the dealer suggests to go with the 5004 Marantz' IIRC - should be no problem with the 6004 amp.

As said, you really need to listen to a few options...

fair point, I will try to get a demonstration - please if anyone else has some good suggestions for suitable matching speakers then I appreciate the advice

So the total budget is around £1k-£1.2k? Thats a lot of wonga for a budget system! Plenty to play with.

Yes, but I want the best value of course, been speaking to my dealer on the link and i hope they will quote me good

I'd look for a used Arcam FMJ A18 (or one of the earlier FMJ models) and a used FMJ CD17 (or one of the earlier models - the DiVA DV79 is also a cracking disc spinner). Spend the balance on a pair of speakers - job done.

Or look out for a NAD C545 CD player and C355 amp - another great combination

Having owned both NAD and Arcam, I've found them great for long listening sessions - plenty of detail and bass punch without sounding bright or overtiring with a wide range of music. I listened to the PM6003 last year and I was really not that impressed to be honest. You've a nice budget there for an entry level system and as others have said, can do better than the Marantz stuff.

fair point, I will try to get a demonstration - please if anyone else has some good suggestions for suitable matching speakers then I appreciate the advice

In 2004 I had briefly had a PM7200 to play with. The mini speakers residing at solidschateau at that time were Monitor Audio Bronze B1, B2 and Acoustic Energy Aegis EVO One. The MAs had bigger plastic cones and they let through the slightly flatulent, loose bottom end of the PM7200. The AE had a sharper top and smaller metal alloy cone. They, and especially the stiff metal cone, considerably tightened up the otherwise warm, blowsy sound typical of Marantz. Based on that experience, if I had to make do with a Marantz combo, I'd want to look for a speaker that has a stiff, rigid main cone that doesn't add more warmth to the Marantz sound. So I'd look to AE's latest replacement for the Aegis One.

Not heard Tannoy's latest Mercuries but I have heard the original range standmounts, and remember their warm and cuddly softness in the midrange. I am not sure if I can stay awake through a Marantz-Tannoy Mercury combo.:zzzz:Unless you like your music replay really cuddly and non-threatening, a sound with more pizazz can be found with other speakers. Like Mission's MX series.

SS

neov2oneblackcrop-r.jpg

^ Acoustic Energy's Neo range is now in V2 form. The Neo One still sports AE's latest alloy cone. Its stiffness could be the right antidote that reins in the slightly loose Marantz sound.

SS