• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Hawk

Valve info

325 posts in this topic

Super Wammer

anyone have any info on peter lindley quad ii amps I have a pair and love the sound but cant find anything about him

Cheers

Pete

You will probably get a better response in the main 2Ch section for two reasons, this valve backwater doesn't get too many visits, and your question is not about valves!

Looks like someone found the info

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?33784-QUAD-II-Variants

My reference is my Art Audio 300BXLS that sounds great but not quite enough power for my speakers, chose to try another amp than change speakers.

Bought some Art Audio mono blocks and had them rebuilt. Each use 4x6550/KT88/KT90. Came with Tung-Sol 6550's.

Thinking of trying Gold Lion KT88 or EH KT90.

Any recommendations or advice?

Thanks

Is the 6N3 a better signal valve than the 12ax7?

I use the latter in one of my amps, Psvanes, and very nice they are too. One of the single-ended amps on my shortlist use the 6N3 while the others use 12ax7s. I'm wondering if I should stick to the ones with 12ax7, they are easier to roll and upgrade than the rarer 6N3s.

SS:sos:

afaik the 6N3 is equivalent to 396A, 2C51, 5670 and old Russian 6N3P, so I would hardly say that options for tube rolling are rare.

as for whether it is "better" than a 12ax7...........

hmmm, so it has its own little family!

I'm a bit wary of the 'equivalent' tag though, 'interchangeable' would be more comforting.

The 12ax7 has several good modern versions that are smooth and dynamic. How the 6N3 handles signals is beyond my experience at the moment. I read comments that another 6N? type valve can be sibilant and rough sounding.

Will accord higher preference to the 12ax7-equipped SET amps for now...

cheerSS

Super Wammer

A nice equivalent for 12AX7's are 6755's. You need an adapter socket, but the tubes are cheap. The NOS Raytheon 6755's I've used as replacements have been fantastic. Great cheap alternative, but big on sound.

Think you meant the 5755 there? If so it s a sub rather than a drop in equivalent as not only are the pinouts incompatible (as you mention) but the plate characteristics are slightly different: lower gain (70 vs. 100), lower maximum design values eg H:K max voltage, max plate voltage etc. so not necessarly a perfect match. Kind of like a 5751 but again, not quite identical. Have you found them low microhponics by any chance? Interested in your opinions about sonics :)

Valves are a massive subject and create/stimulate a lot of debate. I am mindful of a conversation i had about fifteen years ago with the designer/manufacturer of high end British valve amps who informed me of the utter bollocks believed and written about many types of valves. There is no doubt that specific valves have different sonic signatures which is why valve rolling can alter the sound to a given preference. But the stupid prices asked for those with dragons printed on them and the likes are by and large hype. Unless different materials and platings are employed many valves of certain origins are generic and merely stenciled or printed with a manufacturers livery and supplied to them for their equipment. These may be Chinese, America,Russian or Eastern block suppliers/ valve manufactures. As a result i hold the same views about valves as many people here at wigwam hold about cables. Having rolled a few Mullards and Brimars too i can confirm that i too think there is a lot of bollocks believed and written about valves old and new. Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons the best valves i have are brand new. :whistle:

Valves are a massive subject and create/stimulate a lot of debate. I am mindful of a conversation i had about fifteen years ago with the designer/manufacturer of high end British valve amps who informed me of the utter bollocks believed and written about many types of valves. There is no doubt that specific valves have different sonic signatures which is why valve rolling can alter the sound to a given preference. But the stupid prices asked for those with dragons printed on them and the likes are by and large hype. Unless different materials and platings are employed many valves of certain origins are generic and merely stenciled or printed with a manufacturers livery and supplied to them for their equipment. These may be Chinese, America,Russian or Eastern block suppliers/ valve manufactures. As a result i hold the same views about valves as many people here at wigwam hold about cables. Having rolled a few Mullards and Brimars too i can confirm that i too think there is a lot of bollocks believed and written about valves old and new. Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons the best valves i have are brand new. :whistle:

Looks like you were having a good evening yesterday...

Thanks Simon. Forgot to check back here at that time.:oops:

In the end, I didn't get a new amp with a 12ax7 input valve.

I'm about to roll the JJ EL84s in my still new-ish amp and after resisting the temptation of the chic looking Psvane II and GoldLions, decided to go with the well-regarded NOS Russian military 6P14P. A few users replaced their JJs with the Russians and cited improvements. Impressive, as the JJs are considered excellent modern EL84s.

I'm hoping for the same improvements in my amp.:upgrade: More shimmer, yes please!:love:

In the event the 6P14Ps become essential for my well-being, I'll have to start stock-piling them.:sos:

Wonder how many of them were made in the 80s and how many are left...:nerves:

SS

Mmm, I haven't rolled in any 6P14Ps in my first SE amp yet, but I've rolled the 6V6s in my second SE amp.

SSM-JJ6V6S_zpsbqh5un14.jpg

^ L: Shuguang 6V6, R: JJ's 6V6S, obviously larger and wider and the 'S' denotes the spiral filament within, that can cope with higher voltages. Reviews say the JJ does not offer the classic 6V6 sound, it has several sonic traits of the 6L6...

The JJ sounds strikingly different from the Shuguang. I haven't finished listening to the group of music through the JJ which I'd heard through the Shuguang. Some music types sound really good through it. Other music I reckon sound more idiomatic through the Shuguang.

SS

Anyone uses Shuguang's Nature Series 12ax7? Their highest offering, supposedly better than the Psvane Treasure 12ax7, which I use.

HTB1ttmgHFXXXXajXFXXq6xXFXXXx.jpg

Comes in a box with wings. I feel all "Raiders of the Lost Ark" when I look at it.:dunno:

Will these 12ax7s make my music take flight?:party:

SS