In the wake of restoring approx 250,000 garbled posts (having remote URL images) since forum migration, rebuilding of forum content followed by search indexing is currently under process. During this process (which may take 1-2 days to complete), the search function may not work properly. We apologize for the inconvenience. Alternatively, you may use Google search; for eg: amplifier site:hifiwigwam.com/forum/

Mark H

How do I connect a CD player to my DAC?

9 posts in this topic

I have a Sony CD player that has a digital output. It's a single RCA socket, so does it take some kind of special RCA plug, R/T/S and coaxial?
My aim is to connect it to my FiiO E7/E9 headphone amp combo, which has a mini-USB input.
Is there an item or a trick that will do this job?

Couldn't you just use the analogue rca output and put it into the line in of the E7/9?

Or Google S/PDIF to usb converter.

Thanks Mark, I came across the term S/PDIF during a Google search, but haven't found a converter. Is that what I need? I think the S/PDIF is a coaxial lead, so I assume that the digital output is two-channel, three wires.
Using the analogue output would include the CD player's DAC, & my aim is to by-pass it. The E7 is likely to be superior. The E9 drives my Sennheiser 558s very nicely.

The S/PDIF digital output is two wires: signal and ground. Left and right channels are on the same wire.

I don't think an S/PDIF to USB converter exists, although the other way round is quite common. TBH unless your Sony is absolutely bottom of the range the DAC in it is likely to be better than the Fiio gear.

Presumably you purchased a USB DAC because you wanted to play it on a laptop? If so then just play the CD in your laptops CD drive. Your CD player has no USB host and so cannot drive your USB DAC - the digital out on the CD player can only drive a DAC that has a digital in, not a USB in.

OK.
Anyway, I got mixed up. The Sony has a 'phones output, with volume control. It's a Philips whose DAC I'd like to bypass.

I started recently with an E5 to drive headphones better from a CD Walkman. Then we found that my son Scott's synthesizer software on his laptop, previously no good, works perfectly with an E7. So I ordered another E7 & thought I'd try an E9 with it; it's brilliant with the PC but I thought I'd experiment. Takes me back to the days of analog, loads of wires, tapes, devices that I could understand...

So, we'll put the E7 with my wife's laptop & I'll use the E9.

Thanks for the advice, chaps.