Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duvet

Wadia 301 versus Wadia 861

125 posts in this topic

Obviously there is a financial difference but how much of the trickle down technology is present in the 301. Opinions pls as i may be re-considering my purchase even if the Wadia 301 is easily repairable. Have spotted a deal on an 861 . Be brutally honest:cool:

I'll tell you again Duvet, (forget I'm selling speakers) You will get the biggest improved by getting shot of the Gr20s.

Only when I did that, did the true colours of my front end finially show.

The Monitors are you weak link .

The 861 is a far better machine, However, you do really need to put some seriously good partnering equipment around it to let the flavour flood out.

Tony for some strange reason my wife equates hifi with size so changing bits of kit on a rack, she is less suspicious but changing speakers a mighty row would ensue:shock:

You don't have to go bigger, to get better speakers Duvet.

A stock 861 is a big upgrade over a 301, however you will need some decent speakers to really make it shine also with clean mains, the Wad's improve quite markedly with this.

Changing your speakers will produce the single biggest upgrade in YOUR current system. REALLY

You will Not get the benefit of using an 861, IMHO

I mst say I agre with Tony mate, if you have extra funs for an 861, I would suggest the 301 and tony's meadolarks if you like their sound, will give you bigger smiles than a better player with your current speakers. my 2p

Did i say be brutally honest. Well i did so thks Paul and Tony for that. Look she knows i'm changing the cd player and hasn't a clue what it really costs. Lets keep it that way. I do plan to change the speakers but this is a seriously good deal. Now if i change the speakers in the middle of next year when she's forgotten how much i've already spent and its my 40 th birthday round the corner i only have to live with the compromise for a relatively short period of time. And to be brutally honest do you not think either the 301 or 861 will be a world apart from the current cdp i'm using. Tony i will pm you with details and you can tell me whether it good value or not.

Duvet perhaps the new cdp will dihg out detail that render your gr20's unlistenable?

but yeah you have a point, I'd also ask Tony if he reckons you'll be better off with the 301 and new speakers, or an 861 and a wait, and lets face it, by all accounts his ML's are a bit of a bargain according to those that have heard them, be a shame to miss out.

Good luck whatever you decide. :D

The Meadowlarks are the wrong colour . Mr's Duvet's colour sceme is all natural oaks brown leather sofa's and cream's.I'm sure they are fantastic speakers cos anything that floats Frank's boat has got to be

Don't let 'em tug yer string too hard about the GR20s - they're a lot better than some would make out. That said the Ospreys are awesome - in a towering-black-monolithy way....

earl of sodbury wrote:

Don't let 'em tug yer string too hard about the GR20s - they're a lot better than some would make out. That said the Ospreys are awesome - in a towering-black-monolithy way....
I reckon they are a good speaker, but the 861 is a £10k cd player, you will not hear it at it's best with the GR20's, although it may still sound very pleasant, you will know tha more is there.

analoguekid wrote:

... although it may still sound very pleasant, you will know tha more is there.

But that'salways true... Just think,one day you'll hear something better than your Emotions... It's waiting for you... somewhere... . . . . . ...and you know you want it!

;)

Mr Coherent wrote:

I will be demonstrating that shortly :P

Demonstarting what exactly?

:D