seasidersrock

Whats your worst 2nd-hand purchase?

90 posts in this topic

As above, what have you bought 2cnd hand that has been a total disaster, either faulty or just a side wise move.

I have just bought an Audio Analogue Maestro CDP, total nightmare, drove down to Cheshire to pick it up, it worked fine, played every disc with no problems.

Two weeks later laser packed up, Philips VAM 1250.

Started skipping and has cost me over £200 to sort out.

In terms of reliability, everything I've bought has been good.

I wish the original Audiolab 8000A I bought, hadn't worked however as I would have avoided listening to it.

As above, what have you bought 2cnd hand that has been a total disaster, either faulty or just a side wise move.

I have just bought an Audio Analogue Maestro CDP, total nightmare, drove down to Cheshire to pick it up, it worked fine, played every disc with no problems.

Two weeks later laser packed up, Philips VAM 1250.

Started skipping and has cost me over £200 to sort out.

Still cheaper than new though. The joys of buying 2nd hand...........

Hope you havnt fallen out of love with it as its a very nice CDP

Bought some Nagra VPA monos from a second hand dealer. Got them home, there were loose bits rattling around inside one of the 845 valves. Turned out to be no problem. But within 3 months the valves stopped working in one amp so sent them to the distributor to look at. 4 new valves from Nagra in Switzerland plus a check over cost £1200. Then 2 months later the input valves took out the driver circuit (I think) and the amps needed sending to Switzerland. Packaging cost £250, postage on top of that, then the probable astronomical Nagra repair fees led me to chuck them in for a Leben CS300xs. The whole caper left me a few grand out of pocket. I pick up my new VPAs in October - wish me luck!

Horning Agathons, sounded crap, mainly because the dodgy Essex dealer had 'mended' the drivers without telling me and they sounded really poor. Lost a few hundred moving them on after the dealer didn't want to know the arse. I believe he is banned from this site for various offenses, so I'll say no more.

Best sounding amplifier i've ever owned (NAF 845SE) and also the most unreliable product i've ever had (full stop - not just hi-fi).

I bought a sme v it was well made and sounded fine but It just diddent live up to all the hype so I sold it on and went back to a Townshend arm on my Rock ref. A few of my so called upgrades have been more sideways than an out and out improvements.

Worst S/H buy was Exposure pre power. Hated it so much and a pair of Kef refrance 1s also very bad.