Ian

Transistor amp. for Harbeth P3ESR

40 posts in this topic

This is just distraction and fun really. Tried a Quad 306 with the Harbs. recently and loved the results. I've just sold it with a view to getting a Quad 99 power which I've owned before and loved. Before I do any recommendations for alternatives ?

My budget is around £350. I'm also considering a 606. It'll be used with an EE BBA.

And I will accept statements starting "A bit over your budget but........." because this is, after all, the 'wam :)

a bit over your budget but accuphase work well with harbs - hard to get near your budget with even the older stuff though so not helpful really

Did you try a Sugden with these Ian? I myself think the A21a and the harbs I owned were about as good sound as I have owned. The top end was sublime ( thro my SHL5s). I haven't regretted selling much of the kit I have owned but that combo is one I would happily go back to and not take for granted how good it was. A bit special I thought.I imagine a marantz pm4 may also give good results.

Did you try a Sugden with these Ian? I myself think the A21a and the harbs I owned were about as good sound as I have owned. The top end was sublime ( thro my SHL5s). I haven't regretted selling much of the kit I have owned but that combo is one I would happily go back to and not take for granted how good it was. A bit special I thought.I imagine a marantz pm4 may also give good results.

Sugden is on the list too, Cheers.

Why transistors when you can get a nice beefy valve amp in the classifieds (cough) that'll be a perfect match ....

If you have cash to spend then look elsewhere.

However the most fun I ever had and still do from time to time is hooking up a vintage Creek amp or two.They always knock your socks off and I love them.

Was that your intention Mike?

Leftfield? Try a Naim amp. I bought a pair of HLP3ES2s a few years ago, and the guy was running them from a Naim amp and it sounded really good, I've always thought that the Harbeths need something to liven them up. I never got them sounding as good as that with the tubes I used, they always just sent me to sleep.

Because I always want more ;-)

Britney_Spears_-_Gimme_More_MTV.jpg

"Gimme more, gimme more... Gimme gimme..."

Will you go crazy and shave your head if you can't find the right amp?:P

Another vote for a Sugden-P3ESR pairing. It sounded real nice to my ears. A21a is good, but the lovely Mystro could help the P3ESR deliver more punch.:^

SS

Naim XS and the P3ESR playing Diana Krall...

[video=youtube;n7gdUaq9Afw]

^ it sounds real quality even when played through YouTube via my USB dac:shock:

That guy has other music clips through the same combo including Snorah and Dire Straits!:nuts:

SS

Have you seen the mint Quad 909 (silver) power amp that Central Audio are selling for £495 in the dealer classifieds..?

I have Pete, and that's on the list too, which is getting long !

Why transistors when you can get a nice beefy valve amp in the classifieds (cough) that'll be a perfect match ....

Shameless Tom, shameless ;-)

Leftfield? Try a Naim amp.

Truth is Adam I've had a hankering to try Naim in the past. On list !

Will you go crazy and shave your head if you can't find the right amp?

Those who have seen my haor know it's very important to me SSM ! Can't rule out craziness though. And I wasn't thinking of that many boxes !

Cheers all.

Sugden is on the list too, Cheers.

Ian, you were selling a Sugden A21SE back in March.......I remember being sorely tempted at the time! Perhaps you need to slow down a bit! :)

Ian, you were selling a Sugden A21SE back in March.......I remember being sorely tempted at the time! Perhaps you need to slow down a bit! :)

Nah, as long as I'm breaking even or near to I'm happy mucking about. If I stopped a*****g around with amps. I might end up having to watch telly and we don't want that !