s2000db

World of Tanks - online game

1,014 posts in this topic

Was a busy evening for myself last night, especially as I was trying to take advantage of the x5 XP bonus for all of my tanks.

Got the new ones. Views so far:

- The IS4 didn't feel dramatically different, but did have a repair cost of 28k credits, which I'm simply unwilling to live with. Sold

- KV3. Hated it before and it's not dramatically different post. If anything, it's more likely to be in higher tiered games. Sold

- T150. Drove like the KV3. Sold

- The IS8. Feels like an IS3, but with an even better gun. I like it. That received the crew from my IS4.

- KV2. Unsure so far, will be thinking about this one

- KV1. With no option for the big guns, had a think about what I fancy using and put the 57mm on it for a laugh. It was a laugh. Massive ROF and good accuracy. Sure the damage and penetration isn't great, but it's only going to be used against mostly lower tier tanks and it was a lot of fun as a result. For one thing, keep blazing away at a target and you're got a reasonable chance to track/damage a whole bunch of lowly armoured targets (including most of the Frog tanks)

Result of the above was +4.5 million credits into my funds.

Promptly spent 1.5 mill on a Tiger and Panther, both of which are on half price sales. Tonight I'll be looking at buying a bunch of consumables and additional kit for my vehicles.

I did end up fighting on both of the new maps during the evening. Neither really stood out.

I'm very much coming to a conclusion that I believe S2K put on here a few weeks back, i.e. that T9 and T10 gaming is generally a bit pointless. The tanks are expensive to run and from what I've experienced, seem to be the target for a lot of the gold ammo out there. So whilst I have the Object704 and T54 researched, I'm not convinced I'll bother. Might just stick with vehicles upto Tier 8, with the potential exception of the IS8, which I'm thinking about.

Yes tend to agree with you Mike, I've got the same selection and after a few days play, I think the KV1 and T150 are the best of the bunch... In reality the IS4 and it's replacement have both been nerfed, the IS8 is a bit like a 4 'lite', with thin armour, and the IS4 takes a couple more hits now, but it's cannon fodder for everything else and gets shot up easily for a T10 vehicle...

Just musing which line to follow next, as I'm fed up with the French heavy line.. :roll:

Oh and the KV3 is really awful now!

Brief summary:

KV-3 is still overpowered for it's tier, comedy gold.

IS-8 is awesome, play it like a medium and it just owns, 7/8 kills is not uncommon.

IS-4 isn't what it was, at tier 9 it was a OP, at tier 10 with these new high penetration guns it's as useless as the Maus/E-100.

Sold the KV junk and it's variants, only had them first time around for the free tanks to sell in this patch.

By all accounts the ST-1 is the best of the new Russian line up, US style gun depression with plenty of armour and a good gun, can't wait to try it.

The M103 and T110 are the pick of the bunch for me at the minute, great tanks.

Ended up having to rationalise a little over the weekend, just too many tanks demanding attention.

Sold:

- IS8. Just didn't really inspire me, rubbish hull armour, expensive to repair and usually the first thing to get shot at, as everyone knows how dangerous the gun is and how easy it is to damage

- AMX13/90. Just had enough of first hit by anything on the map resulting in being tracked, then promptly blown to pieces. Just not that much fun having to hide quite so much

- KV2. Unispiring.

So that leaves me with:

Ruski:

- IS3 as top dog. I've researched upto and including the IS7, T54 and Object 704. Just can't bring myself to want to try to run a T9 or 10 tank. So, the IS3 is my top vehicle at the moment. I love it. Ace combination of punch, armour and speed

- ISU152 with BL10 and Su85. These are pretty much the same tank, but at different tiers. Both have monster guns for their tier, and neither have armour or HPs. Once you're spotted, you're a dead man. Making up for that, I've had games in the ISU where I've handed out over 8000 damage. Played well, it's a monster

- T44. About as much fun as you can have in the game. Enough armour to protect against lower tier stuff (e.g. it'll bounce shots on the front from an AMX13/75 all day long, as one poor sucker found out). It's fast and can happily get into positions behind enemy tanks

- KV1. Who needs the 107mm? Having a wail of a time with the 57mm. MM usually puts it in against lower tier stuff, against which the 57mm has more than enough punch, linked to a bonkers rate of fire and good accuracy.

Frog:

- Lorry and AMX 13/75. MM kills the AMX, only keeping it now because I've run out of barracks room for crew. The Lorry is very much an acquired taste. Go anywhere near combat in the first few mins and it's toast. I've found that it makes a great sniper/defender for the mid-game. It's speed allows it to jump all over small numbers of attackers who are trying to break through and it's got enough punch to finish most

German. Only started more recently, glad I did:

- Pz3/4. Just crap. Hateful. Will only be around long enough to elite it, research the Hummel and will then use the crew on a new tank

- Pz4. Pretty good tank, but I've had lousy MM and luck with this. My win ratio is something like 18% lower than the rest of my German tanks

- Vk3601. Nothing special, just a good solid "do everything" med at T6. IMO, better than the T34 and enough to scare some higher tier tanks. Took out an IS3 driven by a mug last night

- Panther. Laser accurate 75mm gun that doesn't do much damage, but has awesome accuracy and better Pen than any other T7 med I can think of. Catch something in the open, and it's usually a dead enemy as you can simply keep pooring rounds into them (as a T29, IS and KV found out last night)

- Tiger. Sure, the armour is pretty cheese like, and the top speed is low, but beyond that, what a fun tank. Good acceleration and a great weapon for it's tier (again, better pen and ROF than say the IS, but worse damage). Now fully upgraded, getting quite a lot of kills

Overall, having more fun since the 7.3 update and having sold so many tanks, have something like 7 mill in the bank. I'm planning on the KingTiger as next target and will probably also go down the Brit line.

That Tiger is getting me down now - only one upgrade left and the cost to repair is killing me.

Too slow, and poor armour, but no quick way up the tree. Keep grinding onwards I guess.

Anyone found a way to make the Tiger fun?

I didn't like the Tiger to start with but it does get better.

My favourite tank is the PZ4 followed by the T-34. The super fast gun on the T-34 can be a right laugh.

I'm up to the Tiger 2 on the German line. Just need a bit more XP and I can then get the top gun for it.

That Tiger is getting me down now - only one upgrade left and the cost to repair is killing me.

Too slow, and poor armour, but no quick way up the tree. Keep grinding onwards I guess.

Yes sell it, Tiger 2 is so much fun by comparison...

Good summation of where you're up to Mike, I'm pretty much in the same boat but went up the French heavy tree, it's just no fun at all...

You've got to play the IS8 as a medium, allbeit a slow one...

I'll post more later

The WoT forums have good recommendations. In short, play to the tanks strengths, just as you should with anything else, whether you're talking about the KV, IS3 or arty.

In the case of the Tiger, it's biggest strength is it's gun. When compared to it's peers, it has better accuracy, ROF and penetration. In short, keep the enemy at range and snipe them.

So:

- If you're facing lower tier stuff, e.g. Tier 5 or lower, the armour is pretty good on the Tiger. Just go stomp all over everything

- Against higher tier stuff, find a bush and snipe the enemy

In short, the Tiger is better at defence than attack, let the enemy walk into YOUR ambush, then cream them. Make use of cover using peekaboo

Thanks for the Tiger tips, will try that - sounds like the Hetzer tactics I use to collect points.....still love the little T2 Medium (Yank). Buzz around potting stuff, great fun...

Ok my general thoughts on latest updates, are that theyve definitely nerfed the Russian tree probably in response to all the flak (geddit) that they received on the forums..

The IS8 is not a patch on the previous 4, and the new IS4 T10, is nothing in comarison to the others, it doesnt have the speed or aromour of an IS7, and certainly not as durable as the German vehicles.. The Yanks newbies look very useful at high levels..

However the new skills seem to make the Lowe more fun to play, but at the moment I'm just left with a garage of half dozen russki vehicles that are all a bit same old same old....

Apart from the SU26 which is a real hand of god killer laugh...

Looking forward to the Brit line up, cant see a Cheiftan unfortunately.. :(

IS-8 is full of win

shot_063.jpg

shot_060.jpg

Also been on the test server for the past few days, some of the French arty and TDs are insane, there's no way some of them will get released as they stand.

I was in the tier 9 TD (AMX50 Foch) and some cocky T-54 thought he'd rush me and try and circle strafe me to death, unfortunately for him the traverse is such that he couldn't circle me and I kept the front facing him at all times, he bounced twice on the front armour whilst I put at least 4 shots into him and killed it.

Gun is insane, traverse and mobility is insane and front armour is very good. It will be nerfed before release I guarantee it.

Batchat arty = WTF. 4 shot clip with 5 secs between rounds, plus batchat speed plus a bloody 360 degree turret! you can play this however you like. I met one on the hill on Himmelsdorf and it promptly raped me in a straight out duel with my IS-8.

New battle modes (encounter and assault) are terrible IMO, not very well thought out and the spawn/cap locations on the maps useless. They need to sort this or they will get a wave of abuse.

Hi Guys!

Not been for a while, what with my move to the Fatherland and all that....

But just to let you know 7.5 has been released and it plays really well...

There's a better MM system with less tier spread, lots of new toys, including T10 meds and TD's, plus a few new maps to get lost in..

So please get stuck in and let me know your thoughts... :D