murray johnson

Premier League 2011-2012 (general discussion)

269 posts in this topic

Along with the club orientated threads which can get invaded by piss-taking fans from other clubs (I've been guilty :oops:) we should have a general purpose thread in which all aspects of the current season can be discussed. So here is one.

I'm expecting a difficult game for Utd at the Hawthorns today. They should really have beaten us last time round & Hodgson certainly had them playing very well at the end of last season. Wouldn't be too surprised by a draw.

Newcastle couldnt give Joey Barton away in the close season and from their opening match we were all reminded of what a loose cannon he continues to be.

Barton should have been sent off for his initial agression, but given the ref didn't see it, he should have been sent off for acting. "He punched me" could be clearly seen coming from his lips. Punched :shock: it was barely a slap. What a :td:

A truly obnoxious individual

Relegation fodder; , QPR, Blackburn (Steve Kean sacked by the end of Nov)

Top;

Man U

Man City

Chelsea

Arsenal

Spurs

Liverpool

Everton

If the QPR board have got any foresight they will remove Warnock now - a brilliant championship manager but just doesn't think right for the top flight. But sadly relegation fodder as you say.

As expected, West Brom will be a tough game for anyone at their place this season. (as will Stoke)

Well done Norwich, and Bolton whom I hope stay top. Mut will win league again, although I was surprised they did not also win by 4. Mity-Liver will be challenging. Chels have gone, but I still prefer them, although I try to appreciate other good footie. I am sad that Black and WHam are missing. Come on the Swans tonight.

The Cahill and the Larsson (as mentioned elsewhere) goals were nice.

Aguero looks a useful signing & good value alongside the likes of Carroll & Torres. It'll be interesting to see how City fare against stronger opposition. They did give Swansea alot of opportunities which a better side might well have taken. I did enjoy watching Swansea play though. They are a proper passing side although I fear they may be swept aside by many of the PL's more 'robust' teams.

Aguero looks a useful signing & good value alongside the likes of Carroll & Torres. It'll be interesting to see how City fare against stronger opposition. They did give Swansea alot of opportunities which a better side might well have taken. I did enjoy watching Swansea play though. They are a proper passing side although I fear they may be swept aside by many of the PL's more 'robust' teams.

Kneejerk alert! How long was he on for, 35 minutes?

I'm not trying to suggest that £35m was a sensible price for Carroll, but what a lot of people forget was that with Torres doing his last minute exit sulk, Torres' price was always set at Andy Carroll + £15m, with Caroll's value being whatever Mike Ashley thought he could away with. In terms of current ability and the state of the market, it probably should have been £15m for Carroll, which would have made the Torres transfer £30m to Chelsea.

Ashley played a blinder asking for £35m because he knew Chelsea are a blank cheque, so when we came knocking for £50m, Chelsea paid up.