Watches

3,456 posts in this topic

As the watches thread is no more I thought I would start another.

Just to get it going, here is my latest:

IMAG0049-2.jpg

1950's omega in AMAZING condition inside and out. Pretty bloody rare too as it is an oversized case which they just didn't do in the 50's.

It was :love: at first sight.

Photo from my camera instead of phone:

SAM_0469.jpg

:love::love::love::love:

I have 3 decent watches, however, when I was shopping with SWMBO the other day, I saw a second hand watch in a Jewellers with a £4750 price tag. Regardless of what make it was, I thought if anyone can afford that kind of money for a watch, why would they bother buying second hand. :?

I have 3 decent watches, however, when I was shopping with SWMBO the other day, I saw a second hand watch in a Jewellers with a £4750 price tag. Regardless of what make it was, I thought if anyone can afford that kind of money for a watch, why would they bother buying second hand. :?

Most expensive blingy watches have got very standard movements inside. I put em in the same category as expensive pens. The omega above is nice, not my thing but I can appreciate it.

Time and tide wait for no man :minikev:[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: left-menu-top-space]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

SAM_0469.jpg

nice...like the understated elegance of that a lot. Huge seconds dial is also nice feature...nicely proportioned.

Lovely watch Dom,i love Omegas,hope to get one someday.

SAM_0469.jpg

That's lovely Dom. Beautifully understated and sheer quality. Lucky man!

Loved the watch thread and used to look in on a regular basis. I turned 40 last month and promised myself a nice watch which I still haven't got round to buying yet. Really love the Oris watches, especially something like this

fullsize1.jpg

Most expensive blingy watches have got very standard movements inside. I put em in the same category as expensive pens. The omega above is nice, not my thing but I can appreciate it.

Not 100% right really.

Most of the middle end swiss watches do use ETA movements. However there is an ETA and there is an ETA, they come in various levels on complication and various costs. Then most of the brands re-make the movement their own. I'm sure JVS won't mind me saying about a watch of his a Ulysse Nardin, it has an ETA movement, but I have not seen that level of finish on it before. They have completely stripped to standard movement to parts and re-finished them, plated them, added better quality screws which are blued, etc etc. Then there is the quality of the enamel work on the face which is second to none. The hands of the watch are so well finished they make a mirror look dull. They have also developed and added a completely self contained power reserve meter system that is more complex than the movement itself.

This watch easily justifies its price.

Then there are the watch houses who don't use movements from anyone else; zenith, vacheron, patek, rolex etc. plenty of them around and developing a movement is no simple task, very few people in the world can do that.

Oh and if you think £4750 for a second hand watch is high, don't go to bond street or the burlington arcade.