It Cost How Much!?!

CDs or LPs You Really like that everybody else seems to hate

19 posts in this topic

Most of my collection would fall into that category but I'll start with this...

0000493884_500.jpg

Played at one of Duvet's bake off and people just hated it, there is probably only about 3 people on here that would like this fantastic Free Jazz album, me and Leonard Smalls are two and maybe there is a third, maybe.....:D

Dean...

Hydrogen Jukebox by Philip Glass. I really love this album, but everyone I play it to thinks I'm mad! Maybe I am.

Hydrogen Jukebox by Philip Glass. I really love this album, but everyone I play it to thinks I'm mad! Maybe I am.

Not tried any new Glass for a while, giving this a blast on Spotify now :^

I think that most of it is brilliant. The only bits I don't like so much are where it goes folksy towards the end.

To convert those who think you are mad, play them track 8, from cabin in the Rockies. Beautiful.

It is also makes a really good test disc, detail and transients in track 2, bass in track 1 and for deep subtle bass track 8. Thoroughly recommend to anyone with an adventurous taste looking to broaden their horizons. Available on Electra Nonesuch.

Most of my collection would fall into that category but I'll start with this...0000493884_500.jpg Played at one of Duvet's bake off and people just hated it, there is probably only about 3 people on here that would like this fantastic Free Jazz album, me and Leonard Smalls are two and maybe there is a third, maybe.....:D Dean...
Just done a quick sample of the start of each track on iTunes. If that is anything to go by make me the third!In those short extracts there is incredible energy and drive, now on my shopping list. Thanks for the introduction.

Most of my collection would fall into that category but I'll start with this...

0000493884_500.jpg

Played at one of Duvet's bake off and people just hated it, there is probably only about 3 people on here that would like this fantastic Free Jazz album, me and Leonard Smalls are two and maybe there is a third, maybe.....:D

Dean...

This very much up my street. Shortlisted. Cheers Dean.

Village Of The Pharoahs - Pharoah Sanders drives my wife fuckin' mental

Great album!

I don't really get any grief from family (wife listens to Red Rat, son likes Sun Ra and Funkadelic) or friends, but something like Plunderphonics or The Pop Group might momentarily empty the room chez nous.

Anything by Tomita - my wife thinks I'm crazy to play it! :nuts:

She's right!

Still haven't forgiven him for that awful butchering of Debussy!

Talking of free jazz, not many folks I know would give the "Mirakle" album by Derek Bailey, Jamaaladeen Tacuma and Calvin Weston the time of day...

Here's a sample:

[video=youtube;5MyqzG3Y86E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MyqzG3Y86E

:minikev:

She's right!

Still haven't forgiven him for that awful butchering of Debussy!

:)

Well, Tomita (Pctures at an Exhibition) was the first music I ever owned so he has a soft spot; but I understand he is not exactly "authentic"

R-2862861-1304519191.png Jon Mueller - Alphabet of Movements

Side A is a gong being struck repeatedly, in the best possible way, for 20 minutes.

Side B is the same note being struck, in the best possible way, on a piano for 20 minutes.

It sends my missus nuts; the last time I played it she actually became aggressive FFS!

Three minutes of Crass screaming "you've got big hands, big hands, big hands, big hands, big hands" doesn't go down well either.