halvis

For sale - Transparent Audio Reference Speaker Cable

10 posts in this topic

One pair of these very fine and expensive speaker cables offered in very good condition at 10 feet long.

No original box, but will be packaged well.

Open to sensible offers. They will be shipped from Ireland.

DSC_6504.jpg

DSC_6502.jpg

DSC_6501.jpg

DSC_6500.jpg

What do you call a sensible offer? What did they cost new?

Well, they cost £1000's and £1000's when new, I don't know for sure, but I have seen figures of £12k quoted on the internet, find that hard to believe to be honest.

Anyway a friend paid €800 for his set, so offers around that ideally.

hi i see you have the 500 transport,does it have the AES connection?I have a 506.20 with a micromega t-dac,i'm looking to buy a 500,how do they sound?

Hi Saab,

Sounds bloody great. I had an old Sony ES player prior to the Meridian, which I played into a 563 DAC rather than the 566 I have now. The 566 is slightly more detailed than the 563 and is slightly more neutral. While I still had the Sony, I tried different combinations and discovered the main difference was between transports. Tbh, the difference in sound quality wasn't huge. However, when you stop listening to just the sound and listen to the music as a whole, you realise that the timing has improved greatly. It brings the music together much better than before and makes it muh more foot tappy and enjoyable.

I have always found the difference in CD players pretty negligable, but here was my first big upgrade for a long time.

You want to get a mk2 or mk3 500, this is depicted by the first digit on the serial number. The mk1's use a transport that is no longer available, and apparently they don't sound as good as the later ones, although I have no direct experience of this.

I do use the balanced connection, but have not tried a standard coax or toslink, so couldn't tell you what difference that makes. Although, I could check it out if you like. The chap I bought mine off thought it made an improvement.

Not sure what the benefits would be over your 506.20 though.

Hi Jon thanks for reply its been very helpful,there is a mk 3 on ebay what do you think the max price shoukd be,it is in excellent condition,sometimes prices go mad on ebay,it is also quiet local.Rgards Vince.

Mmm, its hard to know. I would say a good one is worth between £350 and £400, as there is nothing else that I am aware of that will touch it for that money or indeed quite a bit more. If you want it bad, you could justify paying a bit extra I suppose. They are all pretty old now, but their owners do tend to look after them, so don't settle for a mediocre one.

The last mk3 I saw on eBay went for approx. £500, I don't think I could pay that much for one. The one on eBay looks as good as you will get tbh.

Good points made.I would love to buy your cables but i'v not long had the musicwave plus,also not sufficient funds.