Craig

Anything to touch the Honda jazz?

29 posts in this topic

We will shortly be getting a small car so the missus can drive to her new job (how very un-danish)

Our needs are straightforward enough. She's the main driver, and she only learned relatively recently, so it should be a nice straightforward drive - good visibility, no silly handling issues or the like, and easy to park.

Space wise, we need a bit of savvy. We don't have the budget for an estate, and whilst the main route will be work and back we will often, hopefully, use the car for a week away at the beach, or head up to thee hills for a few weeks. So, it needs to have a bit of space, and - for when the moment arises - a bit of flexibility with bendy seats and what have you.

All of which screams Honda Jazz, even though they've made a mess of it's face with enw 2011 facelift :-/

It will be a leasing car. prices over here in Denmark are rather doolally, so please don't try and correlate UK to Danish prices (leave that painful aspect to me) but the options break down along these lines:

Jazz 1.4l. 1.5k downpayment, 36 x £180

Other similar options are

Hyandai i30 1.6l, 2k downpayment, 36 x £210

Renault Clio touring. 2k downpayment, 36 x £220

Fiesta 1.2l, 2k downpayment, 36 x £200

Nissan Note 2k downlpayment, 36 x £220

Nissan Quashquai 1.6l. 2.5k downpayment, 36 x £250

Funds are most definitely an issue at the moment, so for me the Jazz is a no brainer. Am I missing something?

at those prices you are probably right to go for the jazz - esp with the lower downpayment.

If you can get a 1.4l i30 for similar money that's a nice car with a reasonable bit of space. We had a Nissan Tino with fancy seats for a while and I think the only thing we ever did was take them out completely (and curse at how heavy they were) so I wouldn't make much about fancy seats compared with a standard hatch.

the jazz will have higher resale value but the hyundai might be the better ownership experience with the massive warranty and a service package. I had no issues with my accord other than honda dealers being expensive and the warranty being quite short it gets to that age where cars start to fall apart though i did do a lot of miles per year.

Another one to look at is the kia cee'd - basically the i30 but it may be cheaper still with a similar warranty package.

LOL, my parents changed from a Jazz to a Hyundai and wish they hadn't. Even they have noticed that the Hyundai is vile to drive. :shock: The airfix interior plastics on the Hyundai are also particularly nasty and flimsy.

The Honda's only downside was that it was rather easy to dent the lightweight bodywork. Especially for the elderly.... :roll: Warranty shoudn't be an issue on a leased vehicle, their Honda never went wrong anyway.

The Jazz is your best bet there. Reliable and versatile. Best price out of that lot too. Though I did hear someone say that the bodywork is so lightweight that the car moves with the windscreen wipers. Not sure how true that is so check it out.

I know a guy in Denmark with a Clio Touring. He's had it for a couple of years with no problems.

Having said that, I had a Renault Clio 197 for about a year but it did have a few issues: Coolent leak, poor build (near-side door never shutting properly), electrical niggles...

I liked my Mk1 1.4 Jazz: no complaints.

Space is very good and flexible, mpg good even when I thrashed it, ie most of the time, it's a Honda so it didn't go wrong.

Yes, the bodywork is a bit lightweight, but I didn't see this as a problem as I managed not to crash it...

Not so keen on the looks of the Mk2, but you'll be inside it, so who cares?

Just do it!

I'm inclined to agree with The Earl insofar as a test drive of the Jazz and possible the Yaris and Swift. The boss has a Swift and an MPS3 Mazda, his wife loves the Swift. He had a Honda Accord, but his wife prefers to drive the Swift.

LOL, my parents changed from a Jazz to a Hyundai and wish they hadn't. Even they have noticed that the Hyundai is vile to drive. :shock: The airfix interior plastics on the Hyundai are also particularly nasty and flimsy.

The Honda's only downside was that it was rather easy to dent the lightweight bodywork. Especially for the elderly.... :roll: Warranty shoudn't be an issue on a leased vehicle, their Honda never went wrong anyway.

not sure about the i30 but my fiancee's cee'd is well made and the dash although rather dingy is quite tactile with padded plastic on most of it and decent quality switches. The equipment level is good if not outstanding. Handling and oomph are ok - certainly on a par with other cars in it's class although not class leading. The big plusses are it was cheap, frugal and spacious - it has more rear leg room than my accord had.

We have an 05 plate Jazz had it from nearly new and it is a fantastic car that serves our family brilliantly - its quite peepy on the motorway as well.

Oodles of space, nice zippy engine and best of all it feels safe and relaible :^

I agree with you on the facelift but the one way to look at it is they've made the car even safer.

Only thing I would say is look at the Meriva or Peugeout 1007 as the slidey doors look like a really good idea especially with the little one - oh and the pull out bike carriers look smart as well :)

As I mentioned in another thread, I recently drove a Fiesta 1.2 i, at 70mph on the motorway it returned under 40 mpg :( I don't know how that compares to the others.

As I mentioned in another thread, I recently drove a Fiesta 1.2 i, at 70mph on the motorway it returned under 40 mpg :( I don't know how that compares to the others.

Not good!

I got around 44 mpg from the old 1.4 Jazz and that was driving it like it was a Type-R! When I drove sensibly (I did once!) I got over 50mpg...

I've borrowed my fathers Jazz over a couple of months whilst he was on holiday. The car is well spacious, very relaxing and more fun to drive than mini cars I've owned in the past which includes Nissan Micra, Toyota Yaris etc..