Guest Progmeister

Kimber cable

27 posts in this topic

Is Kimber cable as good as Russ makes it out to be? Or is there a certain amount of snake oil? Having owned many cables in the past i am slowly coming round to the fact that most cables are but a tuning device. Some cables have varying sonic signatures which allow you to tune your system or your hearing/perceptions needs.

In the case of Kimber cables i feel the jury is out. I do think that their varistrand cables are very good and the science behind them is sound (no pun intended) However, when you change to some cables at a fraction of their price and the sound of your system improves you got to scratch your head and wonder if someone is taking the piss.

Your thoughts please.....

:?

Steve use the advanced search function and many cable threads will pop up for your perusal and more importantly on a Saturday when relaxing as a mod is paramount my sanity :^

Steve - as it happens I agree with you about cables being a (very fine) tuning device but if you have haven't noticed cables and that particular supplier will provoke an all out riot. Duvet's advice stands - if that doesn't help you could try his money back deal.

Regards,

Lindsay

Nah. I'll keep hold of the Kimber cable. It's decent enough cable. I was just absolutely gob smacked when i Replaced it temporarily with some cheap as chips stuff i had kicking around and it sounded much better. Debate is a good thing don't yer think?:^

Using contact cleaner (I go for Deoxit, 3 or 4 times a year on my speaker and other connectors) brings a welcome, repeatable change in sonics. Similar in effect to a cable change, and much cheaper :cool:

Debate is a good thing don't yer think?:^
For the most part yes but there are occasions when it's just best to leave well alone;-)

If your mains supply is full of RFI and switch noise and crap caused by all the Wifi and SMPS that surround us, shielded cables will help although I would not spend loads of money on them because if you clean up the mains supply using a 2 Kva balanced isolation transformer for the source components for about £450.00, it will render the expensive mains cables to the pointless department.

If we take a peep at when Steve joined, it is only a few months ago, and he has not posted that many times either. I just looked up the definition of forum, "where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged", and I would hope not where a poor soul gets shot down because he is fairly new and hasn't seen many "cable debates?" before. :)

If we take a peep at when Steve joined, it is only a few months ago, and he has not posted that many times either. I just looked up the definition of forum, "where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged", and I would hope not where a poor soul gets shot down because he is fairly new and hasn't seen many "cable debates?" before. :)

Who's "shot him down?":dunno:

Steve ,

IMO - Kimber cable is pretty good. I've old enough to have gone through various hi-fi phases in my life and - like most on here - have enough anecdotal and measured experiences to know that this is an area where 'expectation bias' plays a major part.

I still have Kimber in my system (and some 4TC speaker cable which I haven't *-bayed as yet) and feel the medium priced cables are fit for purpose but the select series is a bit beyond the pale in pricing terms (diminishing returns and all that). If someone asks me about buying boutique or "flavour of the month" cables I'm happy to recommend Kimber, not so for many others I've tried.

Yes. I see your point. I haven't posted a lot as yet so i crave your patience. However, given some of the other ridiculous things iv'e seen on the Wam My innocent enquiry was meant to stimulate debate and not offend. I was only asking a civil question. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I will of course think a little harder about my posts in future.