jammy56

Help deciding on a first amp

27 posts in this topic

a nad c320bee, totally rocking :)

Another excellent choice - ran one of those for a few years and found it really enjoyable. :^

Pioneer A400 or A400X. Often crop up on ebay. They have phono stages in them so no need for a seperate phoono pre-amp, but if you go tone a thte right price you may have cash left for one of the phono stages Jerry mentions in this...

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?44830-Jerry-s-cheapo-downsized-vinyl-rig

What ever amp you are after, put up a wanted int eh private classified for it and also keep an eye on ebay.

Good luck (and welcome).

Heard an Audio Innovations Alto at Phil's bakeoff at the weekend.I understand these can be bought used within your budget.Cracking amp,and as a few folk have said,makes you wonder why you would spend more.Might even get one myself for a second system.

Blimey, so many replies and opinions I think I may be more confused than when I started! :D

I think I'm dropping the Rotel RA-02, not necisarily because its bright, but mainly just because it seems a bit pointless spending the extra for a use of a remote when it will currently be playing vinyl mainly...

Yep, I have been checking ebay regularly, always plenty to wade through on there, just usually not the stuff your looking for ha.

I have heard good stuff about the NAD's but I believe they lack phono inputs?

Maybe I should try and concise what I am looking for with a bit more info. All have been great suggestions so far but there are quite a few variations here that I need to narrow down a bit.

As mentioned the rig will be:

Project Debut III

B&W 601 S2 (typo with the 602 before)

??amp (preferably integrated)??

??undecided on cabling??

Music styles listed to:

Everything really, but mainly Electronic/Ambient/Hiphop/Jazz/Rock and everything inbetween

Cost:

0-100£ new or used

Room:

5x5m? very tall ceiling and fairly open

You might be able to get a s/h Audiolab 8000A for £150, Good phono stage and imo sounds solid with electronic music

Good suggestion. Just make sure its the (early) bomproof british made version and not the fally apparty chinese version.

Butuz

Good suggestion. Just make sure its the (early) bomproof british made version and not the fally apparty chinese version.

Butuz

Hi, is there some easy way to tell? as there are a few up on ebay that I'm thinking of going for.

Other than that I was going for an A65, but there pretty thin on the ground...

I've just spent the evening listening to an old Creek CAS4040 (the oldest one with DIN sockets) and wow what a great little amp. Really bloody good for the money! If you can find one of them on ebay you wont be disappointed especially as they tend to go for under £50. Silly money for something that sounds so good.

As for audiolab the Mark 1 came with DIN sockets so you mauy want to avoid that one, the Mark 2 came with RCA and says Made in England on the back, thats the one to go for.

Butuz

Hi, is there some easy way to tell? as there are a few up on ebay that I'm thinking of going for.

Other than that I was going for an A65, but there pretty thin on the ground...

Yeah ask the seller for the the serial Number and it's the letter you are after -example- 205F0002155- the last english ones made in Cambridge were an F serial around 1990 - G onwards are the Chinese cheapos ! very early models have Silver phono plugs.