lee1975

change of direction please help the bug has got me!!! dam it.

18 posts in this topic

I am thinking of changing my system witch is currently to the left. Very good it is don't get me wrong but I fancy a change.

I am thinking of going valve based as I want to try something else. So I need some info and help. I would be changing my amp and speakers.

I have a Otto se living voice system auditorium at my second home so would like something else as good as they are just don't see point of have two sets of the same speaker or amp. Something from the same manufacture yes no problems.

Budget would be from what I got for my AA amp plus a few hundred or a swap with my amp and cash going there way if its worth more obviously. Same goes for the budget on speakers.

What can I get for around the 1000 to 1500 mark on a amp and the some amount on speakers.

Give me your recommendations on some speakers that work well with valve amps. Anybody got any thoughts on hybrid? what are they like?

Recommendations on a valve based amp and bare in mind that my current amp is bloody good so a valve amp that has a RRP of a £1000 to £2000 will not be an improvement to be fair. Same goes for the speakers.

I like a sweet sound well detailed big and open sound with a rock solid image. A know valve does this but I would also like it to get down and dirty when I am in the mood for some Metallica. Hope you can make sense of this.

Thanks for your input guys

Buy secondhand:

Amplifier - Audio Innovations Series 500 or Puresound A30

Loudspeakers - Snell or Audio Note E or J, or perhaps some big Dual Concentric Tannoys.

get an amp that will drive your speakers better than the one you have and set up the LV in your second system (prima luna in the classifieds perhaps) - then get a more sensitive pair of speakers for the Otto (Snell Ks would do) and bingo

Buy secondhand:

Amplifier - Audio Innovations Series 500 or Puresound A30

Loudspeakers - Snell or Audio Note E or J, or perhaps some big Dual Concentric Tannoys.

As above.

Sweet and detailed, yet big, bold and with great bass control: AI or Pure Sound plus Snell. Heard a couple of similar and heard something similar yesterday. Feed with a good source and be prepared for big money sound and enjoyment at small system price. Personally though, I'd be wary of the Tannoys. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about valves plus Snell, but you need to hear the Tannoys. A touch more 'Marmite'. Many love them. Personally, I don't, but that's the fun of it...

thanks for the info guys. Looks like I am getting a J.Wood power amp. Heard one on Sat and man was it something special. I was around John woods home very nice guy who knows what he is talking about. It kicks out 100 per channel and the sound is just awesome. When its done and bedded in I will have a bake off I think.

sounds promising - just need a pair of snells to go with your AA and jobs a good un:^

I definitely agree with papa, but would also add heco speakers to the list (ESP with the a30)

thanks for the info guys. Looks like I am getting a J.Wood power amp. Heard one on Sat and man was it something special. I was around John woods home very nice guy who knows what he is talking about. It kicks out 100 per channel and the sound is just awesome. When its done and bedded in I will have a bake off I think.

Hi, Lee,

Have a John wood Pre and power amp, With the right speakers these are without a daubt the best full range amps you can buy regardless of price.

10Hz to 50Khz, (understatement) they don't sound like the usual valve amp, but have all their best qualities, sweet, open, pin sharp. My Lumley sounds dull by comparison.

Though I'm puzzled over your price range? New, the power amp costs £3000. And the pre cost £1500.

Although, John wood did produce a few amp using cheaper components, Still the same design using a single valve as the phase splittert. Not heard them, though I bet they sound good.

The origonal idea was by Mike wallis and finished and built by John Wood, a genius when it comes to amp design.

I have the original prototypes used by Mike Wallis has his reference system.

Stunning.

Enjoy, John

Hi John,

John is making me a one off intergrated based on the 100w power amp that he makes. I am going well over buget but I had to when I heard his amp and what he told me it would be capable of.

In regards to the way you describe the sound I fully agree with you on this.

Hi John,

John is making me a one off intergrated based on the 100w power amp that he makes. I am going well over buget but I had to when I heard his amp and what he told me it would be capable of.

In regards to the way you describe the sound I fully agree with you on this.

Lee,

Not quite sure which amp of John's you first listend too?, I,ve heard a few of Johns through Mike Wallis.

Although I've never met John in person, Mike implies that he has a short attention span when it comes to building amps, always on to the next project... so keep on his case.

An integrated amp! that's another new onefor him. Last time I was at Mikes John had just built a Transformer output mossfet amp, stunning bass.

If John uses his unique preamp design, coupled with is power amp you could be on to a real winner. The man is a true genious.

If you do buy from him, keep it, he dosn't mass produce amps and I think when peaple realize just how good his amps are, they will become sorte after.

Well worth the money. I've stopped looking for better. A guy from Moorgate Acoustics compared Johns amps to £10000 amps. Need I say more.

Enjoy John.

Lee,

Not quite sure which amp of John's you first listend too?, I,ve heard a few of Johns through Mike Wallis.

Although I've never met John in person, Mike implies that he has a short attention span when it comes to building amps, always on to the next project... so keep on his case.

An integrated amp! that's another new onefor him. Last time I was at Mikes John had just built a Transformer output mossfet amp, stunning bass.

If John uses his unique preamp design, coupled with is power amp you could be on to a real winner. The man is a true genious.

If you do buy from him, keep it, he dosn't mass produce amps and I think when peaple realize just how good his amps are, they will become sorte after.

Well worth the money. I've stopped looking for better. A guy from Moorgate Acoustics compared Johns amps to £10000 amps. Need I say more.

Enjoy John.

He shown me some pictures of the mossfet and it looked good. I will keep on him he only lives around the corner from me :^ I think the amp he buils me will be nothing short of stunning. And I did speak with a guy at moorgate who told me that the amps were as good as anything else he had for sale in the shop. Thats a credit to him i think. I will hopefully have the amp in around 6 to 8 weeks fingers crossed.